Other forums and sources of information on the web ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
All,
our new MI forum board is still small. Few traffic, few content. :).. I want to pour a lil'bit oil in that :flame:

One of the reasons i made this board happen is that i think that crossbreeding between different forums is fruitful. Other forums have a different focus, different center of knowledge and skill, different image of the world as far as the hobby is concerned. I am sincerely hoping that members of other forums want to visit us and that diyAudio members find inspiration on other forums. And i am hoping that our members discuss here what they do, found out, learned elsewhere.

On diyAudio, there is a huge knowledge base on electronics, all kind of electronics. Yes, mechanics also. And a huge interest in tweaking. Well, one of the most heavy tweaking of a CD player i observed on a pix Dieter Ennemoser gave me. A CD player built like a violin.

There are forums dealing with recording music. With altering music. With composing using fancy electronic devices. With self-invented musical instruments.
It will happen that MI-interested diyAudio members have to ask QQ elsewhere as here is noone yet to answer them. It may happen in the future that members from other forums visit us to ask QQ they do not get answered on their mainly MI-oriented forums.

I found a forum called MIMF dealing with making real musical instruments. I mean: guitars, violins, mandolines, cithers, bassoons, harpsichords, harps, you name it. And they also have a board for everthing around electrical instruments and electronics needed for that.

I was just amazed what competence towards building musical instruments i found there. And i was glad to have found it. At the moment i have a fancy linear tracking tonearm on my CAD and most of it is built from wood (okok, the parts generating the needed precision are embedded metal parts, ground to high precision). Can you imagine ?? how many QQ i have to ask, which glue to use, which varnish, how to apply varnish, anyone knowing where to obtain thin plywood of different woods and so on.

Although this board is not audio-related at all, it has the potential to be highly inspiring. Moreover, methinks that getting acquainted with real musical instrument maker's techniques must be tweaker's heaven :)

Are there other forums you want to recommend? Please do not hesitate to post them here. :nod:

------------------------
One thing, we at diyAudio do not pull posts pointing to other forums, we never have. What we are pulling is advertising commercial ventures and spam and websites lacking integrity. But we allow members to put their own commercial venture in their signature. And we also allow to answer questions toward that activity.

Some forums may be more tolerant than diyAudio, others may be even more restrictive or "protective". In those cases it can happen that your post gets pulled just because you dare to post a link pointing outside the forum. So be careful and check with the authorities 1st before you do that. I talk from own hurtful experience :Ouch:.

Eric,
You bet i do. But not the next two weeks.
BTW, i spent several hours today at MIMF. openmouthed :)
I know Dieter Ennemoser well enough to guess he could be a hurtful experience for some people. I will have to find out 1st if they know him already and if C37 is an unword :)

I have heared rumours that his violins are not undisputed among professionals.
And... they are defintely disputed esthetically, this i can tell 1st hand from musicians and violin maker's gossip.
What i also can tell 1st hand/from own listening: his violins are sonic beauties.
With big fat detailed colourful sound. Rather in the Guarnieri corner sonically, not in the Stradivari corner.
Okok, a vintage Stradivari or Guarnieri is better. But i do not know any contemporary violin sonically coming close to the ugly octagonally patterned Ennemoser violins. BTW, he claims that different varnish colours have different sonics. Hard to swallow for us eningeering minds but i can tell that his orange violin sounded quite different to the blue one. Nor better/worse, simply different.

For the record and eventual MIMF guests, i do not know alltoomuch different violins played in front of me and for demoing sonics. But i know quite some from the concert hall and it's usually easy to spot for me if the violin is a vintage one or "a cigarbox with neck and holes" (i am quoting my acquaintant who is violinist in the Munich Philharmonic Orchestra). Of course i have no clue how the instruments are responding to what the musician is intending; this is a vital quality criterion for a musical instrument.

While i think of it, i had a schoolmate preparing for a guitarist carreer. Acoustic, "classical" guitar. He and a friend demoed a new guitar to me, made by Kevin Arron if i remember correctly, an insider hint instrument back then... the instrument definitely had concert level. The competing instrument was famed, no longer an insider hint, no Hauser, i just remember the name was Spanish sounding. Both guys demonstrated to me, the hifi guy :) what they could get out of the instrument.
The famed Spanish instrument had a beeauuutiful tone in gereral but the music was somehow boring, static, like wearing a corset. The Kevin Arron guitar was not as juicy and fat sonically. But the music was vibrant, differentiated, detailed, involving and the difference in style between both guys playing became much more apparent. Obvioulsy the Kevin Arron guitar was way better responding to the instrumentalist's moods and wishes.
To me it was the superior instrument. AFAIR, both guys preferred the Kevin Arron too.

a place to go.......

Hi Dice,

found this forum on pro- audio gear in general & DIY and more.....

http://www.recording.org/cgi-local/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi

check out the keyboard / synth section, there's a thread on a DIY harpsichord made of LEGO (I'm not kidding!!) :D

our new MI forum board is still small. Few traffic, few content. .. I want to pour a lil'bit oil in that

It IS lighting up slowly, though you haven't already poured your oil on it. Btw, I'd prefer kerosine ;)

greets,

bob

PS: BTW, are you a "Frühaufsteher", or why do you post at ~5:00 AM GMT ?Don't you ever sleep???:sleep: :spin:

Nice forum Dice. The info on materials and tools is great. A bit to much centred on string instruments for my taste.

I think this is going to be a problem. I start feeling a growing need to make that bass guitar they do!! Heck, I can't even hold a bass, let alone play it!

Re: a place to go.......

bob4 said:
.... PS: BTW, are you a "Frühaufsteher", or why do you post at ~5:00 AM GMT ?Don't you ever sleep???:sleep: :spin: [/B]
Insomnia. Fred Dieckmann also wondered about that :devilr:...:)
But you are a sleeping hat, i am still waiting on my list. ;)

Havoc,
yes, really nice board. I have asked wood questions in connection with my tonearm and the guys there are asking me specific QQ already to narrow the field for the answer. I guess i will have to show LT-2 to them -- if i want high quality answers on my QQ. (Oops, :att'n:, diyAudio folks, my tonearm designs are not DIY-friendly, neither of them.

Concerning the string instrument fixation, well remember diyAudio 10 months ago: no analogue, no music, no video, no musical instruments, yes there was a tube board already.
And they have wind instruments and electronics and and and... really not bad.
Ever though about using bees wax for potting an electronic circuit? To kill µphonics? nice, huh? :)

The Synthtech MOTM is the highest speced commercially available modular synthesizer system and is also available in kits. Because of the modular nature of the system, it is very popular for adaptation of other manufacturers modules and of course DIY.
www.synthtech.com

The Synthtech MOTM Yahoo group is very active with DIYers.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/motm/

Dave Bradley has a great MOTM site with plenty of stuff for DIYers.
www.hotrodmotm.com

The best for last: Jurgen Haible designed some of the MOTM circuits in addition to the most impressive pure DIY synthesizers I have ever seen. His web site has lots of info, pictures, and schematics. WARNING: looking at Jurgen's stuff can make even veteran electronics DIYers feel ..uh.. well just make sure you're sitting down.

http://home.debitel.net/user/jhaible/hj.html

Re: Re: a place to go.......

dice45 said:
But you are a sleeping hat, i am still waiting on my list. ;)

Yes I know, you're right..... :dunno: :guilty: :rain:

meanwhile, check out the link I posted

GrantB,
Thanx for the interesting links, I've been fascinated by modular synths for quite a time. Synthtech seems to be a cool company.
I'm dreaming about one day starting to build my own, when I'm experienced enough and I can afford it....

cheers,

bob

PS: to throw in even more germanisms, I'd prefer calling myself a "Faulpelz" (halojoy, do you mind translating it? ;) )

Well I would not use beeswax on a pcb. I know it is use to pot guitar pick-ups for some reason.

After some thinking it makes sense. The advantage of beeswax is that you can easily melt it out afterward to do some repair. Try that with epoxy! And it smells nicer and stains less.

Grant: VERY nice sites.

This is going to become a real problem guys. I already have not enough time and you keep adding ideas and items to my "want to do" list.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.