Pre/PS ala Alembic

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Has anyone seen a bass guitar setup that has a PS for the pickups (like Alembic Series I) and a preamp? I suspect it would have a 4-pin XLR type connector (2 for power, 2 for signal).

If so...where? The only advantage I could see would be a "cool" factor. But, who knows.

If not...what problems do you see...besides integration with other systems standards. Would noise in the 4-conductor line be an issue?

Does the outboard PS at least make sense? Would be able to get 27v pretty easy if one were so inclined. If you were making your own rig, and NEEDED that power supply...having the signal and PS combined would be nice for small rig-ability.

Also, I would like to point out that I am certainly in no position to question the knowledge and experience of Mr. Wickersham!

croat47 said:
Does the outboard PS at least make sense? Would be able to get 27v pretty easy if one were so inclined. If you were making your own rig, and NEEDED that power supply...having the signal and PS combined would be nice for small rig-ability.

I don't really think it makes sense?, using a battery in the guitar is far more sensible, and doesn't limit you to one obscure amplifier type. If?, for some perculiar reason, I wanted a high voltage power supply for an active guitar preamp, then I'd use a standard phantom powered one from an amplifier.

There are a number of active guitars that use two batteries, for an 18V supply - but the benefits seem doubtful?.

Also, I would like to point out that I am certainly in no position to question the knowledge and experience of Mr. Wickersham!

Presumably it's a mostly marketing ploy so they have to buy your amplifier as well? - I think their limited popularity rather proves they have no technical advantage.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.