Kewl!! And a Q about Guitar cables.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi

Good to see this forum online.

I have a question for the guitarists or anybody who plays an instrument with a magnetic pickup.

My cables are noisy. They pick up a lot of stray interference, and besides they crackle when moved around. When I chose the cable I went for the soft type with cotton as the insulator, no PVC. I see now that moving the wire around creates crackling...

I make my own cables, 'cause I think the ones for sale are not worth the money. Can anybody tell me how to choose wire for a cable? Quite easy, match up with spec. sheets, you say. Now around these parts, you don't get things like spec sheets. Nor any kind of literature, just WYSIWYG. Now can one visually identify cable or should I just buy a little of each and check them out by trial and error...

Hello,

If you can find any information at all on the cable you are looking at, or if you have a DMM that can measure it, getting a low capacitance per foot is basically the only electrical rating that matters in a guitar cable. If you cant measure it, thicker cables usually have a lower CPF. Otherwise, just go for something that seems like it will hold up to however much stress you plan to put it through.

-Chris

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Sorry for that.

I have regular passive pickups, and unbalanced in/out throughout my chain including into my computer for recording.

I have so far used commercial cables, and my regular cable has two core shielded wire with a layer of cotton insulation around which a shield is wrapped. It is very soft and flexible, and the outer is extremely tough. On its own the cable is wonderful, the tone it brings to the instrument is phenomenal - it is more 'rounded' and 'analog' compared to the commercial cable, but it also picks up more stray EMI than commercial cable. It also crackles a lot when flexed. I guess it is meant more for fixed installs than regular guitar cable...

Like This.....

The stuff I used was pretty similar to this, but was Asian and cheap - $50 for 100m roll from a wholesaler but works quite fine.

This is where I found the example picture .

Eric.

Attachments

• w2524.gif
    w2524.gif
    15.2 KB · Views: 313
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Wow, those pictures sure help.

I've got very similar cable, and I need a webcam. It's got no stiffness, though, and no insulation between the center cables (2 of) and the shield apart from the cotton wrap, so it is very soft. I may be able to find something similar.

The problem is that all other similar wire doesn't 'sound' as good as this. Quieter, but somehow harsher...

Coax Or Balanced Cable ?....

Sounds like you are using balanced microphone cable - two inner wires (usually red and white) with some kind of packing (cotton, silk or polyester threads) surrounded by a braided screen and outer soft rubber sheath.
If so the usual way to wire this cable is to use the inner 2 wires as signal conductors, and the shield/braid grounded at the amplifier end.

Eric.

I used to buy relative cheap cables, solder my onw patch clabes tec etc but ..
the plugs would break,
the solderflux would corode the conductor, the thing crackled
make noise
etc etc...

then .. (one smart day) .......

I decided to buy a expensive guitar cable.... (about 30 dollars ?)

that was the last time I needed to buy a cable..... about 2 years ago .. still use it ... still outperforms any cable I have ever owned.. never broke... it is one of those cables with plugs that you can't open, or re-solder.. with heat-shrinking tube around it

Buy one ... I think it is worth the money

gr,
Thijs

Hi Sangram,

I also solder my own cables, and so far almost all my wiring is "DIY" .
I've never come across any noise trouble with my cables, beside some hum, but that was always about grounding trouble.
In first place of course it depends on how well you solder (OK, I don't think that anyone posting on this forum hasn't at least rudimentary soldering skills :D ). If you mess it up, i.e. overheat everything, the plug and the wire you use can be damaged (depending on the quality).

sangram said:
I see now that moving the wire around creates crackling...

Can you explain that more precisely (the kind of sound you get, how hard you move the cable etc.). A possible explanation could be that moving the cable causes a short circuit in the plug.

sangram said:

I make my own cables, 'cause I think the ones for sale are not worth the money.

I think they still are worth the money, but as it has been said before in many threads: why buy something you can build yourself for less money?

cheers,

bob

PS: there was recently an article about guitar cables in a german musician's mag - was a very interesting read;)

Check your plugs, make sure they are not shorting out at all, I had this problem with some old guitar lead I had... cut the ends off, resoldered it and now it is fine...

You might want to check the condition of the plugs AND also the sockets they plug into- maybe they are loose/corroded...

It is unlikely the cable itself is at fault!

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Cool, thanks for all the replies guys.

Due to the time difference I have managed to read all of this this morning, I will go back and re-check.

mrfeedback: I am using exactly that, low-noise :D balanced microphone cable. I have also managed to get the connections wrong.

I am pretty sure noise is caused by tapping the cable itself, or flexing it. The connections into the plugs are clamped so tight an ant could not urinate into the gap. That I'm sure about. What I'm not sure about is whether the sockets are loose, that I'll check again. I have made about six such cables and though I love the sound the noise is pretty irritating, specially at performance volume levels, they're OK for practice though.

I have however got the connections wrong, so I'll do some resoldering. I've used both the inner wires for the 'hot' and the shield for 'ground', I'll have to separate them. No major problem.

I pride myself on making solder joints that outlast the equipment they're used on :blush:, so I doubt my soldering skills (?) are the problem. Anyway the cables are clamped after they are soldered, and there are springs at the end of the plugs to give strain relief. As far as I remember, The problem happens whe the cable is flexed at any point.

tschrama: The cables you get in India are $3 cables (or maybe $5, if you want the extra-long ones) which are not high-quality stuff in the first place. So, I don't know If I can get a good quality cable.

Bob: Do you mean capacitance? The noise I get is by tapping or flexing the wire, and it sounds like that: Like I'm flexing or tapping the wire. Actually, it's kinda hard to describe, but it almost sounds like the crackle of old and dusty LPs. That's the closest I can get.

ShiFtY: Thanks for the advice. I'll triple-check my connections.

halojoy: Thanks. I do not have access to foreign currency so buying stuff from outside my country is still a pipe-dream for me. So Gotham is a little out of the window.

Gotham has some windows in India

"Thanks. I do not have access to foreign currency so buying stuff from outside my country is still a pipe-dream for me. So Gotham is a little out of the window."

India is too big country to be left out.
If you want to reach potential customers
there are a few over there in your neighbourhood.
Sweden has 8 million people. :D

2 distributors in India are listed at their homepage
I thought you should check it out.
Prices is in Rs, whatever that is?

Of course you have some alternative manufacturers to choose from.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.