Kewl!! And a Q about Guitar cables.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
bad spelling

sangram,

sangram said:
Bob: Do you mean capacitance?

You're right samgram, I was too lazy to look up the proper translation :blush:

I was referring to your comment on different cables altering sound rather than to the noise prob.

it almost sounds like the crackle of old and dusty LPs.

In that case I think it's all about plugz'n'socketz, as shiFty pointed out.....

greets,

bob

Handling Noise.

If you are getting a crackling/rustling sound when flexing your cable it is due to the internal wires moving with respect to the shield causing change in capacitance, and hence audio noise output, especially in a high impedence, low level circuit such as guitar preamp input.
A tightly woven braided shield reduces this.
Better still is coax with a conductive pvc layer over the inner wire dielectric, like the photos I posted.
This cable is exceptionally quiet.

Eric.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
I checked extensively last night.

The noise is microphonic. Definitely. On tapping the cable, it sounds like a mic is being tapped. On flexing it, you get the 'whooshes' generally associated with the movement. It happens with or without the guitar plugged in.

The amp is a Marshall G30RCD solid state with two channels. Even with the volume at 0, it produces some sound so I suspect something wrong inside the amp, but I'm not sure, and I'd hesitate to open it.

The same cable is dead quiet on other amps, and the Marshall does not make sound with any other cable. Wierd! Maybe they just don't get along...

the only time i have invested time into DIYcable has been in my buds studio and when i was doing live sound ( we rigged up snakes to minimize setup/teardown times, as well as tidy thangs up abit:) )
I would opt for top o the line cabling unless you are getting ready to take your rig on the road.
spend the money on the cables and invest the time on the music/recording.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.