behringer amp advise

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The PDF of the manual lists a NOISE <100db spec. If thier NOISE is s/n than I guess it's good. I will use it for center channel in a 5.1 HT set up. I currently am using the amp section of a couple cheap sony recievers for center and surround duties. They have that nasty hard, flat sound to them. My center speaker is large, and all of 4Ohms. My mains are powered by an Adcom 5800, so I have quite a desparity between amps. I don't want to put somthing in thats just as bad as the recievers.

saramac said:
Is this amp any good? The power rating@ 1khz instead of full range is a put off.

infinia said:
Since the amp would be front and center I would pass on this and look for something a little more HI Fi. If it were me I would pick up a used Adcom on Ebay. Plus it would match the look of your front amp. Just my $0.02.

Hi,

specifications tell you nothing about sound quality good or bad.

All amplifiers will have a power rating where distortion at 1Khz
is 0.1% THD, unless the amplifier never gets below 0.1% THD.

The 0.1% figure tells you nothing about distortion at lower
power other than it must be lower than 0.1%, but not how
much. It does not imply minimum distortion is 0.1%.

A used Adcom is the best option I'd say,
the Behringer looks decent value for the power.

:)/sreten.

Yes and No
I'd agree with you if distortion spec is 0.01% or less over full band at 4 ohm. But the Beringer spec at 1kHz is a useful data point. I can garantee an amp in this class has X10 the distortion at 20kHz.
At one third power the distortion most probably be 1/10 but still is 0.1% at 20KHz. Not Hi-Fi in my estimation. Works great as sub amp as the distortion spec would be minimized by the sub driver distortion ratings itself easily 1% or greater.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.