DC filter for Arp 2600

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I read recently that the Arp 2600 outputs DC as well as AC from the audio output, and that this can lead to blown speakers. I have been using a bass amp (combo) to amplify the 2600 and the speaker has now blown (although it was a bass guitar that was actually being used at the time of destruction). However, knowing what I now know, I am reluctant to use the 2600 again until it is safe. Is there a simple circuit I could build to plug the output of the 2600 into to remove this DC component?
Many thanks

James

Yes,

Use a 10 uF (microFarad) polypropylene or polyester cap in series with the HOT lead of your connector cable. You could even build this into the output of the ARP.

I would do some double checking though... seems like ARP would have put one there already... might be an urban myth thing.

:D

There's no way this could cause the speaker to blow, your power amplifier won't pass a DC signal anyway - what kills speakers in this way is a DC offset on the OUTPUT of the power amplifier, which can be caused by a fault in the power amp.

It's usual to have a DC blocking capacitor on the output of a line source (like the ARP) but also on the INPUT of an amplifier, there's no reason to (and PLENTY not to) have a DC coupled input on an audio amplifier. So generally BOTH will be DC blocked, but only one HAS to be.

Adding a capacitor to the output of the ARP (assuming it hasn't already got one?) will do no harm, but it won't affect speaker blowing in any way whatsoever.

maybe the speaker blew because the arp has a much hotter output than a bass guitar as well as being able to output very powerful and rapid transients, as well as subsonic frequencies.

also if you play long note on the synth wit full sustain. the amp will be outputting full power for much longer time than it would with a bass.

could be it was just too much for it!.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.