simple ring modulator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
has anyone a simple active ring modulator schematic??
regards mike

Attachments

• hit.gif
    hit.gif
    20.8 KB · Views: 520
Many years ago 'Practical Electronics' magazine ran a project called, I think, 'Sound Bender' which incorporated ring modulation with a variety of other effects (envelope shaping etc.). I built it, and it worked very well, especially for such a simple device. You'll have to search the archives for the article though - late '70s, early '80s I think.

Sorry Mike - it's a long time ago, and I don't even have the unit any more. Your local library might be able to find the article though.
Alternatively, you could experiment with doing it the old-fashioned way, using transformers (old transistor o/p txrs or similar should do OK for experimenting at least).

PE 74 Sound Bender

Hi
I now have that soundbender pullout, thanks to a very kind chap called Allan Winstanley. So anyone who would like a copy, please PM me
It looks like you could substitute valves in the circuit, as its just a phase splitter, (easily implemented for tube)with phase of 1 leg controlled by a drain source junction of a FET (could replace easlily with tube?) with the 2 phases summed together. The audio goues into the input to the phase splitter-then the control input(env gen, LFO VCO, etc) goes into the gate of the FET-will post schematic soon

Add tubes to the Sound Bender

HI
Remeber the Practical Electronics Sound Bender pull out that had a modulator circuit which was basically an audio phase-splitter with one phase going directly to the input of a summing amp and the other going with a FET as a variable Voltage cont resitor to grnd-and then on to the other summing amp input?
If you put a synth, gtr, mic input , whathaveyou, into input one-you can get a ring mod effect by putting an oscilator (audio) into the second input
I though of "tubifying" this-see below.
But, anyone got any ideas on how to succesfully replace the FET with a tube?

Attachments

• Sbender1.JPG
    Sbender1.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 262
  • Sbender2.JPG
    Sbender2.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 247
Simple Ring Modulator

This is very true-but the diode/transformer path has high distortion, and with the transformers used-a very narrow frequency response, impedance matching problems, and the TX's will saturate at a very low level.
Im looking for a solution with a wider f response and less distortion-but more importantly, a novel approach to compare with otehr known methods.
Just need to know how to succesfully use the triode as a voltage controlled resistor-my limited knowledge dont stretch that far!
Thanks for the reply thogh-whats been your experience of using this circuit with anything other than guitar?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.