Need DIY Bass Guitar slap effect??Help!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
;) Hi there!!I'm a bass player. I want to build an effect for my bass guitar (slap effect) does anyone can help me?
Actually when i see an expensive combo amp, i see some effect like "punch"/"bright", i want to build that effect which can give my bass a suitable Slap effect. Please help me!!
;)

regards
---------

TomZ

I believe the effect should be called "punch" not slap as slapping is a playing technique, not an effect.
As pinkmouse said, an eq or even a good tone control stack will do a good job "brightening" your tone.
You could also consider a slow attack compressor. This will create a peak ("punch") on every note.

;) i have a poor bass amp without any effect (just only parametric EQ). When i play in the other expensive bass amp, i found some switch like "punch"/"bright" when i press that switch my bass sound become tight and suitable for slap and popping.(listen at Victor Wooten plays,Marcus Miller)
My question is, does anyone know what is "punch"effect?does anyone know the schematic??
if i only use an EQ i'm not get a suitable mid bass boost for slapping.
I love a slapping sound, does anyone know how to build this slap effect?
:smash:

This ESP preamp works quite well for slap bass when the bright switch is engaged: ESP Preamp #27 . I've been very happy with this preamp, and only had to do a few minor modifications to dial in in for bass. The tone stack is basically an impedance scaled Fender circuit.

A compressor may well help too, but can you tell us what your amp is, and what the expensive, nice one was? Do you have a decent tweeter and crossover in your amp?

My amp is a local bass amp (very worse)because it's only use 12"fullrange driver +some parametric equalizer and the price is <50$.Very cheap of course.
I found the expensive amp like Peavey Combo and trace elliot. They all have "bright"/"punch"function, which make our slap technique become nice. It's different if we only use an equalizer.
Can u help me for the compressor schematic??;)
I need a compressor schematic and punch schematic.

regards
----------
TomZ

If you like the Peavey feature, email to parts@peavey.com and request the schematic. COmbo was a name applied to many models, so you need to specify Combo 115 or something similar. If you go to the Peavey web site and go to the manuals section, you can see owners manuals and see the various model names to chose from. Combo 115 is current model.

I also am a bass player, and have been through many amps in search of the ultimate sound. I can honestly tell you the bad news- the whole "secret" to wrestling a great sound out of your bass is to get a good, POWERFUL amp and speakers that can deal with it. You have to move alot of air. Then a simple eq of any type will be enough to get you that good slap sound! A compressor helps too. I would recommend building a Ross clone. The Orange squeezer is horrible for a slap effect, (the attack is WAY too slow)it's more of a sustain booster. It's great if you want a single note to go on for an hour! Also, try lowering your action and playing close to the neck- you'll get a fantastic fret growl that way, especially with a fender type bass!

You could also try the opposite approach- set up your amp for a bright sound, then use a hog's foot to tame the highs. I turn the Hog's foot OFF to get a "slap" sound, on to get a "flatwound" sound. The hog's foot is a VERY simple bass booster circuit, and a really cool sound for bass, but it is the exact opposite of what you seem to be looking for.

I have used inexpensive power amps and speakers that were intended for PA and it works great, provided you use some kind of preamp to drive it. An eq will do the trick. I currently use an Ampeg v4b(1978) and an SVT 1540 cabinet(1 15", 4 10" speakers) the whole setup only cost me $400.00. It's ok, it'll fill any size room with a TON of bass, but I would prefer a cleaner sounding head. I may just wind up using a cheap pa power amp to drive the cab...and dump the grouchy old tube head.

You might want to look into the smaller Hartke amps, they sound GREAT for slapping, but don't do as well for more sedate playing styles. Just not enough POWER. I've personally NEVER played through a Peavey bass amp that I liked. I just can't get them to sound right...but that's all a matter of taste. Trace Elliott makes some good but WAY overpriced amps! I'd look into cloning one of those before a Peavey!

My rig is a Peavey TNT130 with "punch" and "Bright" pull out controlls. Its barely ok unless its turned up to the point where its limiter cuts in.

Watching one of my Slap videos, the advice is to use a Grapic EQ and dial in a smiley face. They also say " Fit a tweeter"

I actually found good results with a Joe Meek MQ3(FTpro) compressor with a slow attack and the mid turned down. It even works with a home made amplifier ( cheap preamp > 100W MOSFET poweramp > 8" Audix driver in an old HiFi cabinet!).

Oh yeah ............ PRACTICE!!:cool:

Ah yes- the TNT. I remember playing thru one of those once... I was VERY impressed with the amount of air that combo could move, but I couldn't manage to wrestle a TONE I liked out of it. I can see how it would make some guys very happy, though. Lots and lots of bottom end! I might have actually liked it if I had tried an eq with it, (I was VERY frustrated by the onboard tone controls)but I didn't have one with me at the time...

I played thru a Peavey 1 15", 2 8" cab for a while. I think it was called the 1516. I liked it! I was bi-amping using a power amp, crossover, and 31 band eq intended for pa at the time. Great sound out of that little cab! That was back when I played a Rickenbacker, which turned out to NOT be the best bass for me personally, no matter how cool they are! And they ARE very cool after you gut the horrible "Rick-O-Stereo" wiring (What on god's green earth were they thinking?) and wire it up as if it were a BASS! But They're SOOOO expensive. I sold mine out of disgust (AND my Gibson RD Artist- a gigantic, ugly, extra long scale, heavy, battery gobbling monstrosity with a neck like a 2 by 4. Sounded fantastic, but it must have been designed for masochists who NEED to suffer for their music!) after I bought a cheap Japanese Westone and found that it blew away the Rick(and of course the Gibson) in every way except its name. Ya live and ya learn. I won't buy an expensive bass ever again, there's just no practical reason for it. Now the AMP- that's a different story! I've found that even my ancient, hideous $5.00 "Imperial" early '60's hollowbody piece of crap sounds ok with a decent amp! Yes, I got a working bass for $5.00 at a yard sale! But you can just imagine what a $5.00 bass is like....

Yeah, the "smiley" is good advice! If that dosen't do it try a "V". Scooped mids are cool!

Don't want to open a can of worms (or Pandora's box,as you like:D) here,but...no one mentioned the role of the strings in getting a good or a specific slap tone?
As I spent a small fortune in search of the "slap tone Holy Graal",that being basses,PU's,onboard preamps,Strings,amps and cabs,I'd say that the strings are one of the two important sound components (aside of the individual playing technique,of course).
In other words,some strings sound "as you sneeze" on them,some don't...for a basic slap tone,try some D'Addario nickels or some LaBella SuperSteps,or some DR.Or any other fair roundwound set of strings.
Half-rounds and flats can be slapped too but it's a PITA to get "that Marcus Miller or Vic Wooten tone" from them..in fact,impossible.
HTH!
Regards,

hi i m a bass player too ,,, i think it s abit hard to get good slapy sound from an eq .. the slap switch on basses or preamps doin somehow a diffrent job ...donno how ..
but any bass player doin diffrent things to get a good slappy sound , once i saw a video from Stu hamn ( joe satriani s bass player ) that he used delay pedal for slappin ..
but another thing u should keep in mind for a good slapy sound s string as Le Basseur mentioned,, lookin for a good Lo-Rider stainless steel bass strings .. i prefer DR brand ..
and if u wanna build a compressor i built the ross compressor , orang squeezer , and a ross / squeezer clone compressor .. ( u can find the schematic and complete pdf w pcb at www.tonepad.com )
but in fact they r all guitar compressor , and will change the tones ( i really don like it myself ) but u can fix the problem with changin the values of caps ,, the guys here can help u a lot for that ;)

Good point about the strings! One other thing- they should not only be roundwound, but also ultra light gauge. Much easier for slapping, and really helps for speed also! I like both Ken Smith and Rotosound funkmasters, even though they sound quite different from each other. The Ken Smith are very sensitive and bright, the Rotosounds much smoother, as if they were compressed or something. The downside is a loss of bottom end with ultra light gauge, but a good amp can more than make up for that... and your fingers will thank you.

And then of couse there's technique- you can slap on even a beatle bass with flatwounds (it ain't easy, but it's possible) if you have your technique down pat! If you haven't mastered the technique you won't get a good slap sound even from a Warwick thumb bass with their extra rare ultra expensive Bubinga(whatever that is) wood.

Yes Ahmad I agree, if you build a guitar effect and adapt it for bass you should make sure the input and output capacitors are at least .1uf or higher in value. They determine how much bottom end the effect lets through. I always wind up changing them around until I get what sounds good to me, using the lowest value needed to get enough bottom end through, and it's different for each effect. I've found that anything past 10uf seems to be too muddy, so the range would be(for my taste) between .1 and 10uf. And that goes for modding commercial effects too!
Some "guitar" effects work just fine as is on bass- for instance most electro-harmonix effects. I actually had to LOWER the caps on my Big Muff(NOT an effect recommended for slapping, good for Cliff Burton distortion) to tame the mud- too much bottom end right out of the box. And my Small Clone chorus sounds GREAT without any mods at all!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.