Need DIY Bass Guitar slap effect??Help!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
yeah Godofbass , i like and use some guitar effects on bass too ( w no modin ), like mt-2 ...i think it s all depend on taste , thomgun_lc , u should try and try , test and test , to get wat u want , but if u find an original slap effect schematic inform me to build one too :D ...
R.I.P Cliff Burton .

Hi there.
According to my experience, it's difficult to have a ggod slap effect. Because there are a complex factor, like a string's conditon, the body of bass guitar, the sound of our amp.
At least there is a digital effect made by ZOOM 606, which provide slap effect. I wonder how they do that.:whazzat:

Hello Thomgun,

I haven't read all the posts in detail, so I don't know if the following has been mentioned before. The "slap" effect you mentioned is usually a couple of eq tweaks combined. In the case of a digital multieffect, some compression is also added.
The eq part shouldn't be too hard to implement, you need a bit of bass boost (as mentioned before), a sharp parametric cut at about 400Hz and a "bright" eq (bit of treble boost). Trace Elliott and some other amp manufacturers usually call this "contour".

Regards,

Jarno.

Ummm, yeah, I have a zoom 506II, but the slap setting is horrible. Way too shrill. I found that the "fat" setting is a lot closer- but not close enough as is... I had to tweak the eq. and it still ain't as good as my 7-band eq pedal without all the multi-effect patches in that thing. I like the tuner, though, and I have programmed a couple cool "synth" sounds into it, but not by tweaking the cheezy built in synth sounds. Anyway, trust me, it won't be the ultimate answer for slap sounds. It does a lot of stuff, but nothing very well(except reverbs and delays, but who uses THAT on bass anyway). I guess the compressor settings are better than an orange squeezer, so for the price it might be worth a try- you really do get a lot of effects( however nasty) to play with, but I'm in the process of trying to eliminate it entirely from my setup because I've found that "real" analog effects sound MUCH better!
All I need yet are a stage tuner, a GOOD envelope filter(mutron, meatball, q-tron, af-9), and a decent cool USABLE synth effect. The tuner- no problemo, the envelope follower-EXPENSIVE, but a decent bass synth? That's gonna be hard...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.