New Build Pics (guitar Amp)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thou Shall not finish a build without sharing pictures.

I just finished my most complicated build yet. I must say, It is getting much easier, At least the build part :D

Front View Rear View
Bottom View Bottom View 2

I call this the fenderplex ( I know I am lame) , Its a Fender 5E3 output stage coupled to a modded plexi kinda front end.

It needs some help as it has an minor bug to overcome, but overall its VERY sweet Toned and has a fairly flexable output range.
I have a Thread over in the instrument section of this forum, But no takers on the issue. Schematic is located at link.

Pretty Soon my skills will be up to the challenge of building a really sweet high end stereo unit. This is really getting me motivated for that reason alone. Soon I will be looking to build about 20-25W of heaven.
Gene

igge said:
Looks nice :cool: . I would put the phaseinverter coupling caps a bit further apart from eachother, though. For cooling purposes as well as for ease of modification/measuring/repairng.

I concidered that, And theres plently of room in that chassis thats for sure, But. I was trying to keep those leads especially as close as posible to the tube in hopes of reducing possible noise. They actually solder directly to the tube sockets keeping the leads as short as possible. I figure as well as this amps working, I shouldnt have any worries there for at least 5 years. Those caps are rated at 600V so they should drift to badly for a fairly long time. The original schematic had 400V and they were generally good for 20Yrs?

As it sits,This baby is the best effort I have made, I have never heard a more noise free guitar amp.
Nothing gets even remotely warm after nearly 2 hours of constant running.

Gene

Wow,
So much fun so little time, Since the last post of pictures of this amp, I finally squeezed in time to record a couple clips.

I think this amp does a fairly good job of catching the voice of both the Plexi & the Fender Deluxe as I had intended.

Only 2 tiny mods from the original concept, Replaced an off spec resistor and removed the brite cap in the plexi prestage.

I call this baby the fenderplex, since its both combined.

Heres a Clip

Upcoming Pictures of the Fender deluxe 5E3 clone coming soon, I just completed and tested it at 8pm last night. Oddly, nothing needs tweaked :D
Trout

Sounds great! I love the way the distortion "accelerates" (that term might not make sense but I can't explain in words what I'm hearing). The highs seem to have good sparkle without being overwhelming or annoying.

It has inspired me to make some time for finish the amp I've got on the bench downstairs! :)

I Like the variances I can get from the amp, Normally I just use a stock 80's American Strat with lace sensors.

This time I used the following set up for the above clips.

80's Fender strat,, seymour duncan hot rail pick up ,,,and stock fender neck pick up
Amp miked with shure sm57 about one inch from center of cone,,,,Hartke celestian 4x12 Hartke cabinet
1st riff- dirty channel gain full master about 4 , same setting for last two leads Clipits ,, Clean sound ,neck pick up,,clean channel gain about at 6 master volume about 6 bass and treble for all clips bass at 3 treble 5
clips recorded to cubase SX ,,,added a hint of reverb , neutral eq.

The amp had a pair of RCA 6L6GC's, 12AX7EH's in prestages.
(Amp was built for 6V6GT's and sounds outstanding with the NOS RCA's I Tested, The 6L6's were drop in with no mods)

I am really starting to love those Electro Harmonix 12AX7's. They seem especially smooth yet crisp and bright when you call on them. Best $6.00 tubes I have ever bought.
gene

Trout said:
I am really starting to love those Electro Harmonix 12AX7's. They seem especially smooth yet crisp and bright when you call on them. Best $6.00 tubes I have ever bought.
gene

Thanks for the info about the settings. I hope the amp I'm working on can sound 1/2 that good.

That's good news about the tubes as the 12AX7's I bought for my guitar amp are EH! I had a chance to go downstairs this morning and wire the heaters. Maybe this weekend I can get it completed.

dhaen said:
Nice tidy construction.:cool: Can't find any critisism for an instrument amp.
What made you use composition resistors?

I bought out this old TV/Radio Repair shop inventory at an auction a while back, I got several Ohmite Lil Devil resistors with organizers stuffed full and lots of refill boxes of same. I Figured old 50's -60's amps all used those. I also got a few full cases of those Cornel Dubilier , Sprague, And Mallory Can Multi-section Caps. 350-500V

Agreed they aren't Ideal for good high end audiophile units, But they do seem to capture the true essence of the amps of that era.

Trout

Agreed they aren't Ideal for good high end audiophile units, But they do seem to capture the true essence of the amps of that era.

yeah some people link composition resistors with mojo tone...i dunno...never tried them. It is said they're noisier and tend to drift, maybe i wil try them in a bassman clone project i have in mind.

Nice amps Trout.

peritus307 said:
No problem...

Hey I looked at the project in your signature.. WOW.. That thing is beautiful.. Good luck and I'll try to stay updated on your progress...

That project is dead in the water!!

I can not get the replacement power supply caps from the only source I know of that has the correct part.

Vibroworlds Been closed ever since I started the project. So, unless I can either get lucky and locate the correct part, Or I give up on the idea of keeping it looking stock correct. Its going to sit here until I get sick of looking at it and sell it on ebay.

Trout

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.