Guitar & Bass Capacitors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Guitar & Bass Capacitors

Hi,

recently bought afew guitar capacitors 2A473J and realised that these were the same capacitors on my guitar & bass.

After googling, it seems that it's either a 0.47nf or a 47nf, could someone pls be so kinda as to clarify ??

Also ...
was modding afew guitar pedals and had a spare 1.uf left over . Thinking this would give my Bass better tone, i installed it to the tone pot~
THE TONE IS GREAT, deep heavy bottom end sound~! but ... it fucntions more like a volume knob, rather den a tone knob. ie, if i wanted to cut the tone abit for a more jazzy song, i'd expericence a slight drop in volume as well.
Anyone know how to rectify ??

Could i ask wat the difference between the nf and uf capacitors ?

*CHEERS*

1000nf is 1uf

47nf is the same as .047uf

1nf is 1000pf

The capacitance is written in number code on the part in picofarads. 473 means 4-7-000 pf. 47,000pf is the same as 47nf or .047uf.

If you replae the .047 tone cap in a guitar with a .1uf tone cap, it will roll even more of the hjigh frequecies off. Since .1 is fairly large, it will bite into the lower freqs more than the original cap. Well, rolling off the lows as teh same as a volume control on a bass guitar.

I am surprised a .047 is not enough high rolloff for you already.

The standard tone cap and control in a guitar or bass does not have the signal running through it, it is instead across the signal shunting the signal to ground. The lower the resistance of the tone pot setting, the more effect the cap has. That is the more highs it rolls off.

actually ...
i was kinda trying to cut off the high's on the bass ....
coz with the normal cap, the tone is either too high and bitty (all the way up) and to dull when it's down ... and really really hard to find the sweet spot inbetween.

You're right, when i put the 1uf cap, it was as good as not putting a cap. But the tone it created just made me go wild :bigeyes: ~!!~!~!!

After lots of experimentation ... i've put the normal .047uf cap in series with the 1uf .
the tone pot still retains some highs ... but the bottom end is LOVELY ~!
It gives a really deep and rich tone without sounding too dull ~

:D

You could try adding a smaller cap in parallel with the .047 to change the "knee" frequency. Adding a .01 would give you .057 total, .022 would give you .069, etc. Putting the .1 in series with the .047 actually raises the "knee" higher, since the total capacitance goes down.

C1 X C2
CT= ______
C1 + C2

.1 in series with .047 is about .032

Yes, there are differences in capacitors. Tolerance and temperature coefficient vary with different dielectric materials. The tolerance of a capacitor is how far the actual value is from the value marked on the cap. Temp Co is how much the value changes with temperature. In most audio circuits these two attributes aren't all that critical, and inexpensive polyester or ceramic disc caps are often used. Depending on the circuit, leakage and other properties of the dielectric material can affect the sound enough that better caps are often found in "high end" audio equipmant. Where high impedances are the rule such as in tube equipment, I've seen cheap ceramic caps become "microphonic" or noisy.

Back in the "good ol' days" it was common to see capacitors made of paper or oil soaked paper as the dielectric material, which degenerated over time. The paper caps seemed to impart a "sound" which is sought after, especially by guitar players.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.