Roll CALL: How many guitar amp guys are here

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
There was a similar thread recently that asked:

who is into instrument tube amplification?

You might search it up for more guitar amp builders. This is the reply that I posted there. I am in the parts collecting stage for the 833A guitar amp. This one will be wicked!

I have also built several guitar amplifiers from a simple 4 watt 6V6 single ended Champ clone to a 150 watt push pull amp. I have recently prototyped a 200 Watt single ended guitar amp using an 833A. I realize that it is not practical for gigging due to the fragile nature of the 833A's filament, but it sounded so cool that I just have to build one.

For info and pictures see http://www.tubelab.com/833SE.htm

I found an old Guild Ultraflex amplifier at a flea market for $35 USD, it worked perfectly with the original 7591 (4X) tubes. I have been using this amp for 5 years without incident and it sounds awesome. That is why I haven't built any amps recently.

Yep,
One more - this time from downunder.
Some new design/construction BUT vintage restorations are my specialty - backing out solid state rectifier mods etc. and amp blue printing.

On a recent buisiness trip I recently met a 14 year old niece for the first time ever. I was delighted to find that she has been playing guitar for 3 years and just joined her first high school band. Was still using a very ordinary 3/4 size guitar and a basic 10 Watt SS practice amp and told me she was saving her cash for a new guitar and amp. Uncle Ian to the rescue - I sent her a restored Tiesco 78R Amp (cathode biased 6L6 Blackplates driving 2 x 12" Alnico Speakers - 6AV6s everywhere rather than 12AX7s) and a restored 1963 Vintage Aussie Maton Flamingo 555. If she ever gives up guitar they should just about pay for her first car.

Most new design stuff I do is aimed at HiFi.
Cheers,
Ian

Pic of the amp:

Attachments

• mvc-807f.jpg
    mvc-807f.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 144
Just about to start my first guitar amp project.

Sold my Marshall silver Jublee 2X12 combo (god I miss that amp) because it was just too loud and you needed to wind it up to get the tone so I never really used it enough.

I'm now about to undertake building an early Fender Champ (6SJ7 pre, 6V6GT power) clone. Probably going to make it into a mini head and seperate cab. Hopefully this will give me the crunchy grind at much lower volumes and if I'm recording any amp is loud with a mic 2" from the driver.

Craig405:
My neighbors think that the whacky DOC lives next door. No Delorean in the driveway though.

Puggie:
I built a 6SJ7 - 6V6 amp a while back. Try several 6SJ7's they don't all sound the same. I like the old metal ones that no one wants. For a really rude distorted sound plug in a 6SK7, it is the same pinout. Distortion is dependant on the bias. The "Champ replacement transformer" from Triode electronics sounds great in amps like this and it is cheap too.

Hey guys, just started getting into the whole DIY tube amp thing. Been playing off and on for about 15 years and the thing that got me interested in this is that I have noticed that low wattage amps have little if any options on them. You are lucky if they have three tone controls let alone multiple channels and forget it if you want to go stereo.

I build bespoke amps on occaision for geetarists. Doing a custom rig now for a guy who tunes down (B or C#) and is thinking about going lower.

I play bass.

tubeamp.com (sorry can't find your name)
I want to do another 813 based poweramp for myself for home/studio but I'm finding it hard to justify the weight and effort when a simple EL84/6V6 rig works well into my 100dB/W 1x15 (x2), 1x12, 1x1"+big horn rig.
Your 833 rig made me laugh - in the best way. Awesome!!

Any rational person, or anyone who gave this a serious thought would find it very hard to justify it either. Fortunately, I have never been very good at either.

When I have the time to play my guitars, I usually use an old Guild Ultraflex Amp. Try to find any info on that one. It is a biamped guitar amp with about 35 watts per channel. 2 speakers, the bass channel feeds a 15 inch, and the mid - high channel feeds an 8 inch. The Ultraflex knob is the balance between the two channels. Excellent tone for bluse music.

I put together that prototype amp to test out an output transformer that was going to go into an 833A stereo amp, but the transformer wasn't quite good enough, so I plugged the guitar preamp into it an let it rip. It sounded awesome. I can't get that sound out of my head, so I just have to build it. I envision a clear Lexan case with a glowing red 833A and blue glowing 866's inside. Impractical? Yes! About 100 pounds, and larger than my 2X10 speaker cabinet, but it will be the baddest looking amp in town, with the sound and the power to match. The only thing that I am missing is a .5KW 600 volt industrial control transformer. (budget power transformer) When I get one cheap, I will build the amp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.