Nooob here - Guitar cab Q's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hey,

I'm gonna be building a guitar cab in teh near future, i have very little knowledge of how to go about the task. I'm wondering if you guys know of any good web-resource or books i can get hold of to learn.

I want to build something which sounds similar to the VHT 4 x 12's. Lots of Girth.

Thanks

Most guitar cabinets are either infinite baffle (sealed box) or open/simi-open back (like combo amps). Since you are dealing with mostly mid-range frequencies, bass reflex (ported) cabinets aren't usually used as they are with bass guitar and sound reinforcement applications. I have heard some nice guitar cabinets with 10" or 12" speakers in front-loaded horns.

I would suggest getting the measurements of a cabinet that you like and simply copy it.

Eminence makes some very good sounding guitar speakers for a reasonable price. For bass, it's hard to beat EV though.

I just happened to think, there's a guy that posted a pic of a nice looking guitar cabinet he just built, right next to your post. Look here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=60550

He might be willing to share plans with you, or at least give you good information.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.