shielded vs. non-shielded

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
That is generally true.
For your purpose, you want fairly large wires to minimize power (Ir) loss. The Radio Shack cables are no good for this purpose.
I suggest that you purchase some 16 or 14 gauge zipcord wire (lampcord) and solder some 1/4" plugs on the ends of the wire.

mytool4u said:
If I were to use lampcord, what do I do with the ground wire?

One wire on each terminal of the 1/4" plug. Connect the wire exactly the same on both ends.
If you don't feel confident that you can make the cable, go to a Music Store and purchase the cable.

If you can solder, you'll save lots of money by making your own cable.

The shielding itself is not the issue. Typical shielded cords like guitar cords have teeny tiny inner conductors which are way to small to handle the current going to the speaker. That is why you shouldn't use the shielded cords.

For speakers you need to use a speaker cord. You can make a perfectly good speaker cord with zip wire if it is heavy enough. 16ga is heavy enough to go from a head to a guitar speaker cab.

Radio shack has "Heavy Duty" 1/4 plugs that will handle fairly heavy zip cord. You may want some heat shrink for a strain relief but the plug body will cover the connections. There are probably better plugs out there, but Radio shack is convenient if you only need a couple things.

#16 wire is fine for short speaker cords (less than 10'). For longer runs, 14/2 rubber cord works well. I would not use Radio Shack plugs or jacks, they are not very well made. Use either Switchcraft or Neutrik. They're a little more expensive, but won't fall apart after a little use.

I bought a 1/4 plug and found a lampcord. The only problem is that the plug only had a post for what I believe is the positive. It wasw surrounded by red cardboard. I think the other wire is just supposed to be soldered to the case. I took a picture for you guys to look at. Let me know.

Attachments

• plug.jpg
    plug.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 67
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.