DI guitar direct input box - increasing gain?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys I've made the circuit shown here;

http://inet.uni2.dk/home/cosmobiology/preamp27.htm

I'm trying to get the level out of an electric guitar up high enough to record into a line level socket. This preamp has helped somewhat, however I still need more voltage gain (and/or lower output impedance). Any suggestions on circuit mods to increase the voltage gain?

If anyone knows of other diy guitar preamp schematics that can get up to line level, please point me in that direction.

Cheers

Audiopro;
I used the bypass capacitor and that certainly gave it more gain (causing distortion), however the voltage swing on the output did not increase and I still can't get a high enough level for proper recording. It looks like I could use more headroom. With 27V input I thought that wouldn't be a problem, but it's probably the transistors limits.

Here is a preamp I have built many times over the years for myself and for other guitar players. I designed it to go inside the guitar and use one battery, switched with the output jack. You can set the maximum gain to any value you wish as long as the output doesn't exceed the rail voltage (unless you want lots of distortion). With normal use, the battery lasts about a year.

It could easily be put in a box with a PS, either single or split. If you need plans for the PS, let me know and I'll post one.

If you choose not to use the EQ, ground the two unused opamp inputs to keep it quiet.

Attachments

• guitar preamp.gif
    guitar preamp.gif
    10.5 KB · Views: 212
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.