Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

wireless guitar project
wireless guitar project
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th April 2005, 11:42 PM   #1
Optical is offline Optical  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Default wireless guitar project

Ive always wanted to build myself a wireless guitar system so i can move about more while im playing, and have just noticed an IC from www.maxim-ic.com - the max2606

details found here http://www.maxim-ic.com/appnotes.cfm...te_number/1869

it looks pretty straight foward! im quite keen to modify the front end slightly to match a guitar, although it might need a preamp before this too as it is expecting a line input level. wouldnt hurt to maximise the SNR anyway..

but the whole thing could be powered by a 9V or a few 1.5V batteries and might even be small enough to put inside the guitar? if not then i think commercial designs have a small box that clips onto the strap..

anyway, im keen to have a crack at this project to see if any good results are possible. Anyone else keen?

only problem at this stage is the chip is tiny, which makes it a pain to solder to, but its only 6 pins..

schematic:

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 29th April 2005, 11:55 AM   #2
Giaime is offline Giaime  Italy
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Giaime
Beautiful! What the receiver looks like?
Old 30th April 2005, 06:16 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

the reciever?
-i was just going to use a standalone digital reciever with a lineout..
ive ordered some samples of the IC, so when they get here i'll start immeadiatly..
although i cant find an inductor anywhere right now, ah one will turn up..
Old 3rd May 2005, 02:18 AM   #4
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

Lookon the Maxim data sheet, it will either spec that the inductor is so many turns around some sized form (we usually just use a resistor as a form), or they will be using a commercial product.
Old 3rd May 2005, 03:11 AM   #5
rpapps is offline rpapps  Antarctica
diyAudio Member

Hi Optical
Might be simpler to buy a "bug transmitter" kit such as Jaycar Electronics KE-4711 (AUD$11.50) or KJ-8570 (AUD$19.95). They interface directly to an electret microphone so may have the sensitivity you need.
They have branches in Auckland, Christchurch, Hamilton & Wellington or you can mail order.
Cheers
Rob
Old 12th September 2005, 11:36 PM   #6
noodles is offline noodles
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to noodles Send a message via Yahoo to noodles
I would also like to know how to make a wireless guitar transmitter. Any progress?
Old 14th September 2005, 12:34 AM   #7
Brion55 is offline Brion55  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Brion55
Sounds like a fun project. Keep us posted on your progress.
Old 26th September 2005, 07:16 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

well those chips turned up, but they were so tiny they were unsolderable... ~3mm x 2mm... that will teach me for not checking the IC package..

Instead i have ordered some FM transmitter kits and modules from www.oatleyelectronics.com
They have locked frequencies and are quite powerful. I have ordered one straight transmitter module, and another kit with a preamp that also includes the module..

so hopefully they will turn up soon and i can try it out!
it should be good, it runs from a variety of voltages so a 9V should do for the transmitter and the preamp.

Only problem i can foresee is the ariel is quite long.. im not sure where i would put it? maybe stitch it to the strap or something..
Old 26th September 2005, 07:30 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

here are links to the specific transmitter ive ordered.

http://www.oatleyelectronics.com/txandrx.html#FMOD1
http://www.oatleyelectronics.com/kits/k222.html

Another thought, since they are stereo i was planning on simply summing the inputs and outputs.. But what about making a balanced transmitter? By using a balanced signal it may help decrease any negative effects from the transmission?

what do you think?

something like this http://sound.westhost.com/project51.htm or an INA217
Old 26th September 2005, 07:32 AM   #10
Nordic is offline Nordic  South Africa
diyAudio Member

you may still want to try those chips, lol it looks more tricky than it is... First put tiny but if solder on traces on pcb, just enough to turn it solder colour... then position IC....

Now put one huge solder drop on top of the pins and let it melt covering all the pins on one side.

Now while its melted press down on the IC to form capilary suction between the pins and pcb.

Next use desolder pump to quickly suck the excess solder away, it should leave only the bits traped by capilary action between pins and pcb. any small leftovers (if any) can be removed with desodler wick.

wireless guitar projectHide this!Advertise here!