need help with gallien krueger 800rb

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
With two channels or output power, I would agree that output transistors is probably not it. Unless a channel has failed and took out the 60v supplies or their fuses.

Make sure the 60 volt rails are present. Make sure the +/-15VDC rails for the op amps in the power stages are present.

Make syre the +/-15VDC rails are present in the preamp curcuits as well..

COnnect the effects send jack to the inout of another amp. If you can hear it there, then the preamp is at least partly working. Likewise, plug a guitar into the effects return.. That woukd check the power amp and later section of the preamp.

Is there a signal on the Direct Out jack?

Make sure the Biamp/Full Range switch is working - check the resistance at its contacts.

here are the schematics

Attachments

• untitled.gif
    untitled.gif
    24.9 KB · Views: 1,222
Enzo said:
With two channels or output power, I would agree that output transistors is probably not it. Unless a channel has failed and took out the 60v supplies or their fuses.

Make sure the 60 volt rails are present. Make sure the +/-15VDC rails for the op amps in the power stages are present.

Make syre the +/-15VDC rails are present in the preamp curcuits as well..

COnnect the effects send jack to the inout of another amp. If you can hear it there, then the preamp is at least partly working. Likewise, plug a guitar into the effects return.. That woukd check the power amp and later section of the preamp.

Is there a signal on the Direct Out jack?

Make sure the Biamp/Full Range switch is working - check the resistance at its contacts.
I pluged my guitar in the fx return and got sound. what does this meen?

The simple test is this: plug a guitar cord into the effects send jack, then plug the other end right back into the effects return jack. If this restores the sound, then the return jack needs service.

The effects loop is essentially a break in the line between the pramp output and the power amp input. When you are NOT using it, there are contacts in the jacks that carry the signal past them. When you plug into them niormally, these contacts open and the signal must travel out, through the effects unit, and back into the return to finish the trip. If those contacts get dirty or bent or whatever, then they won't pass the signal when they are NOT in use.

Do this test.

Also do the other half of the test I mentioned the other day. You already plugged into the return and got sound. Run a cord from the effects send to the input of some other amp. We do this to see if the preamp is putting out a signal. if it is, then the loop jacks aalmost have to be where the trouble is. If there is nothing coming out the effects send, then the preamp has a problem.

You need to clean the cutout contacts in the return jack. if you cannot get at them or cannot successfully clean them, then you replace the jack.

Sometimes you can squirt cleaner in the jack, them probe a plug in and out a few times to move things around. Some of the cleaner might bribble into the contatcs and you might get away with just doing that.

Otherwise, I don't recall that amp specifically, but many GK amps use the Switchcraft jacks with the gray tombstone shaped top. On this top there shuold be a number like RN112APC or something close. Pop the gray top out and look at the exposed contacts. Note when you plug something in that it pushes the tip contact back a ways. There is another contact that was touching the tip contact, but now it is no longer touching. That is the dirty contact. Get between it and the tip contact and clean that surface. That will cure it or not. If not, replace the jack.

hey guys...

i need help too..

i recently bought an 800RB head...

though when i plugged it in a Behringer 410 cab 4 ohms...
and when i turned it On... white smoke came out of the box and knobs...

so i quickly turned it Off and looked inside... the wires on the mains plug has melted.

damn... help me!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.