please help with a beginer question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
At the beginning it just doesn't matter... buy a cheap bass and a used bass amp (don't buy practice amps)... better buy everything used!

After a few time you will decide for yourself what to buy. Do not settle on cosmetics of the basses/amps! those are the things that newbies go after. Just buy something used... and later you'll buy a MusicMan bass and a SVT 8*10 amp...

ldydrumer said:
I'm begining bass and wanted to know what are the best electric bass that you can get for around a hundred dollars, if they come that cheap? And what are good amps? Please help, I need some good opinions.

If your budget is $100, I think you should be looking for a used instrument. If you could find a used instrument at a music store, that would be excellent as they would likely do basic setup for free. An alternative is to try and find a great deal at a pawn shop but leave room in your budget to take it to a guitar tech for a tuneup. Stay away buying new at a retail store! A $100 new instrument likely not stay in tune for more than 0.05 seconds! I know! Look for brands like Ibanez, Fender Squire, Epiphone, i.e. imported, but still made by a reputable marque.

Take a look at rondomusic.net

They have good stuff for cheap. Although there will always be a debate over cheap gear, the Rondo stuff seems to hold up to the critique.

That being said, you need to have a good setup like was saide before. Some places charge about $100 for this, so it may be out of your budget. This is very critical for any bass you get, new or used. Hopefully you can find a knowledgable friend that can help you. Any bass will play like a 2X4 if it is not set-up right.

Most of the things you can do yourself by reading information online. The only tricky thing is truss rod adjustment....basically, don't turn it too much too fast.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.