Guitar amp speaker advice needed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The good news is that I have a new (for me) guitar. And it deserves the best amp and cabinet I can build. The amp part is pretty easy, but I don't really know what's out there these days for speakers. Advice appreciated. Here's the specifics:

It's for playing in my garage- I stopped performing in public 25 years ago. Don't need stacked Marshall equivalents!

Amp will be tube, probably EL84-based, maybe 15 watts.

Music played on this guitar will be mostly electric blues (I'm a big Stevie Ray freak).

It would be nice (though not necessary) if I could use this setup as a PA for my electric flute.

I don't want to spend a mortgage payment on the driver.

Hi! Look at Eminence Speakers, they make copies of almost every famous guitar speakers, such as Celestion or Jensen. You'll want the old Fender-kind of Jensen. Maybe a 10"?

I suggest you a 6V6 based amp, much more Fenderly and Stevie-y. Good luck!

(well, when I'll get the money I'm planning on building something like that... big SRV fans we are!)

SY,

Parts Express carries a number of guitar drivers depending on what sound you're looking for. I'm on a similar project but no where near the point of making the decision

Emminence (Red Coat and Patriot series look enticing) and Celestion are the two brands that PE carries. Prices are not exhorbitant. There are other brands to consider.

Sorry if I've stated the obvious.

Ryan

A few comments, mostly speculation and not experience.

Pinkmouse is dead on about Celestions, their reputation on the pro side is untouchable. You may be able to find them pretty cheap in uncommon places. I once found them at MCM a few years ago :)

Don't tie speaker diameter to your SPL needs so readily. 12" for guitar is common because of tone. This Eminence chart illustrates this by comparing FR of various drivers: http://www.partsexpress.com/resources/emisens.html

I would go with 12" on a tube amp.

Speaker selection

We build our guitar Leslies around the Eminence Legend 1028P. Not as cheap as the Jensen 10" 20w but they take "wailing" a bit better. Parts Express is just fine if you aren't an OEM. Use two 16 ohm 10" and you can peave nieghbors two blocks away. I think that is where they got the name Peavey!

Hi SY,

Just noticed thid thread, I've built several small guitar amps using the baby pentodes (EL84, 6V6, ECL86, ECL82 etc.) and many are used for electric guitar (typically Blues sound although more Tony McPhee than SVR) and acoustic instruments as well although rarely at the same time:) . I usually build the cabs with a 10" guitar speaker and a 10" acoustic instrument speaker of the same sensitivity - then with a small speaker patch panel on the back of the cab you can select either speaker or both together depending on what you want. It has proved very popular with all it's user who all have a mix of electric and acoustic guitars, etc.

What's the guitar?

James

AH finally, the subject I am the forthmost expert on!!

This is a VERY easy question.
I've been studying and experimenting with speakers for YEARS.

You name the material, magnet type, cone type and overall design and I've either experimented with it or at the very least studied it.

I'd say go with the Jensen MOD's which are not only affordable but IMO a better and modern version of the Celestion Greenback. Don't let the price fool you, these are one of the most well balanced and rich toned speakers you can buy.

Jensen OVERALL, is considered to be/make THE finest musical instrument speakers in the world. The MOD's are living proof. It's a clone cept with better materials!! Just bear in mind the MOD's/Greenbachs don't get those sharp highs a lot of us modern crunch tone fiends play for.

This link is basically the cheapest I have found them and they are a cheap speaker as it is BUT, they should be! SPEAKERS ARE CHEAP TO PRODUCE REGARDLESS OF MOST ANY DESIGN.
http://www.loudspeakersplus.com/html/jensen_mod.html

If you want something punchy with a lot of top and low end and a rolled off midrange, try the Carvin GS12. They are Carvins old Brittish series lead speaker and they now sell them for next to nothing.
http://www.carvin.com/products/single.php?ItemNumber=GS12-75-8&CID=RSPK

If it were my project, I'd simply team up that Carvin 12 with a Jensen MOD 10. Basically combine the two and if you want to get really creative throw in some switches for switching out the Carvins or the Jensens.

Not only have I found you the best quality budget priced speakers but I have found you 2 of THE best speakers around that have a very low profile reputation. Anyone with good ears, a solid level of playing and a good amp would push these on you. Sure vintagte speakers sound good but only a totalfool would believe that modern technology couldn't reproduce the same tone and response at a fraction of the cost with better materials.

Speaker technology really hasn't changed for about the 100 years it's been around. Designs and engineering innovations used in "new" speakers is often ripped off from old loudspeakers from the 30's-40's that were used in theaters and stadiums. The main thing is that in modern times we have found ways to replicate the sme results for less money and with better materials.....same as most any other technology.

I have a Marshall MG412 cab under a Marshall AVT150 Head (tube preamp). From what I've read, people say these saound a lot better with a good cab such as the Marshall 1960, rather than the AVT cab made for the head. Mine is a lot cheaper than the AVT, let alone the 1960 one. I dont really like the sound I'm getting right now.. It doesnt sound real full and have that good of tone. I'm not sure what speakers it has.. Some type of "Marshall/Celestion" deal. Do you guys think getting some new speakers for this would help get a better sound, or is the cab construction a big fatcor? I like the price of those Jensen MOD speakers.. what do ya think? Thanks

-Mike

guitargully said:
I have a Marshall MG412 cab under a Marshall AVT150 Head (tube preamp). From what I've read, people say these saound a lot better with a good cab such as the Marshall 1960, rather than the AVT cab made for the head. Mine is a lot cheaper than the AVT, let alone the 1960 one. I dont really like the sound I'm getting right now.. It doesnt sound real full and have that good of tone. I'm not sure what speakers it has.. Some type of "Marshall/Celestion" deal. Do you guys think getting some new speakers for this would help get a better sound, or is the cab construction a big fatcor? I like the price of those Jensen MOD speakers.. what do ya think? Thanks

-Mike

If the construction of the cab is solid enought, it doesn't matter to the sound since if I remember well MG, AVT, 1960 cabs share all the same design, only the cones are different. Don't change all the four speakers: you'll get the characteristics of the speakers in an exaggerated form. Try 2 originals + 2 Jensens...

Of course I suggest a better head to start with. Cones doesn't make such an enormous difference if they're not broken or not yet broken in.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.