Scrap Heathkit W-5m for guitar amp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I know some like this amp so don't kill me for asking:) I have a Heathkit W-5M with a bad power transformer. It has the Perless(Altec Lansing) 16309 output transformer. Would this transformer work good for a guitar amp running EL34s, without using the ultralinear taps of coarse? Is this amp worth much without the power transformer and tubes? Thanks.

Tha amp is not worth a lot, but that Peerless transformer is worth a few dollars for sure. It would perform well with a pair of EL34s. Kind of a waste in a guitar amp, mind you nothing wrong with guitar amps. I will send you a new audio transformer made for 2x EL34 (no screen taps) plus other parts for the Heathkit. Hate to see that amp gutted.

Someone has already replaced the power transformer with an unknown one and converted it to solid state rectifier. The new power setup is low in voltage compared to the original. Chassis and cage are nice as are the caps, choke and OT. I know that OT would kinda be a waste in a guitar amp, It's just what I have laying around to work with. I was just thinking, I have the choke, caps and OT from this amp and a massive power transformer from a 1948~52? RCA television set, toss in a 5U4GB some EL34s and a handfull of Mullard 12AX7s and it should make for a mean guitar amp:D Thanks for the trade offer. I think the shipping of this beast to you would be about enough to buy a new OT(I get wholesale pricing). I do thank you though.

Tim and Amperex,

I have a proposition. I' too hate to see the WM-5 scrapped (as a hi-fi amp).

I have an RCA theater amp that I've already converted to a guitar amp (I did it before I knew better). It has a very fine PSU and a much larger OPT than the WM-5.

Amperex, if you're willing to give Tim that Tranny, I'll trade him the RCA for the WM-5 and promise to put it in good working order. I may even use it in my system as I have a singleton WM-5.

Cheers/Fader

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.