Building a bass amp and speaker (cont...)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am building about the same thing, But i am Using an Emeinace Delta lite 10" 300 Watt with a 350 watt amp section from a Hartke head. I am using a different transformer so i am expecting 150-200 watts from it.

I am buildign a small portable cab for small shows and practice etc.

The driver only weighs 7lbs, and them amp section adds another 3lbs but the dang transformer weights a lot, 10-20lbs! depending on what i use plus the weight of the cab....

I wish i could find a nice Switching power supply that would give me +/- 50, 60 or 70VDC

That would really make this a nice lite system.

Anyone have any ideas???

Zc

ZC, a torroid should be lighter as RG said. The 500VA torriods I have here on the floor of my workshop are only about 2.5 - 3kg or 6lbs from a 'hand' test.
If you're going to rebuild it into the cab, put it on the bottom rear to aid balance when you're moving it. Also, don't cut the holes for the handles on the cab until it's roughlt built and put them where your hands actually go.

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
If you want lightweight and lots of power AND sound great:

http://www.41hz.com/main.aspx?pageID=85

home page:
http://www.41hz.com/

These use the Tripath chips. Super efficient so require smaller transformer.

A bass player also, BUT his amps require some precise soldering because they have some surface mounted devices so might not be the best first project. Will get you a couple of hundred watts though!

:devilr: :devilr: :devilr:

Check out the Class D amp threads for more of this type of amp.

Variac, thanks for the tip re the 41Hz amps. I've been waiting for the UCD 400's to be available again locally before I rebuild my rig and get rid of the big lump of an amp I'm using now, so these might be worth looking into instead. Price isn't too bad either.

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
This is the thread where I found out about them:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=51581&perpage=10&pagenumber=2

I think the buzz is that the UCD modules (Philips patent) are the best sounding, but Bel Canto uses the Tripaths and are reputed to sound very good, and I have 3 of the Sonic Impact $30 amps that also use Tripath, and they are amazing - especially in midrange.

I don't know much about instrument amps, but it seems that bass players don't want the distortion of tubes as much as guitar players, and need lots of power. The Tripaths are going to sound better than any regular PA amp I'll bet!, and are small and light. Marantz just announced a Tripath PA amp , you can find a reference to it on the link above.

I dont have any of the original chassis parts. I bought the modules on Ebay, one worked and the other i fixed. they came with the heat sink tunnels so there nice small complete units. i just need to add a Power supply. so now im on the hunt for a small 400-500Va transformer.

I might want to try one of those switchmode amps. im curious how well they would stand up to such abuse. Still would like to find a switch mode power supply as well.

Zc

This is probably opening a can of worms, but if I was to decide between
bridged amp1
http://www.41hz.com/main.aspx?pageID=88
or the bridged LM4780
which would you choose and why?
As I am reading this thread is the biggest advantage heating differences?

Also, how the heck do you power the bridged amp1? Am I not seeing how many volts are required to produce those stats? I am wondering if the 21VAC+21VAC 225VA transformer I got off ebay would work for that also.

I was reading the PSU page at 41hz.com

Pamp = 2 x (U/1,41)2/Z

Can someone explain the 2/Z part? is that 2 to the Zth power? 2/Z times the rest? Becuase I just don't get the numbers that article says.

I am reading the geofex.com power supply article and I am just not correlating between the two on the calculations.

SirPoonga said:
Errr, something came up and I hve to spend my money elsewhere. This will have to be a future project :(

Well that will give you more time to pursue your amp knowledge and spend time at forums like this :) . It will be interesting to see how things shape up in the Class D area. They certainly have appeal for Bass amps.

SirPoonga said:
I will at least be building the preamp part for now.

Now, what other preamp schematics are out there. For bass all I really could find is that 360 schematic.

There is the ESP project 72b preamp. Boards are available. The board sales support the site. With a board buy you get access to the build instructions. There is a forum on the site to get help. You would use the P05 (project 5) power supply. Using the wall wart as the 16v AC input to the PS means you can do the project without having to worry about any 120v wiring or danger. Makes it a much safer first project.

http://sound.westhost.com/project27.htm

To make it a bass preamp you have the option of not using several components such as the fuzz/distortion part.

moving_electron said:

There is the ESP project 72b preamp. Boards are available. The board sales support the site. With a board buy you get access to the build instructions. There is a forum on the site to get help. You would use the P05 (project 5) power supply. Using the wall wart as the 16v AC input to the PS means you can do the project without having to worry about any 120v wiring or danger. Makes it a much safer first project.

http://sound.westhost.com/project27.htm

To make it a bass preamp you have the option of not using several components such as the fuzz/distortion part.

I am confused. Are you talking amp or preamp? Are you talking about the preamp part of the project 27? What's project 72b? I didn't find such a project on the site.

I am talking about the preamp part of project 27.

I was mixing together a few terms though that confused matters.

In the project information link that I posted the whole project is referred to as "Project 27". The project description describes both the preamp and the power amplifier. It also shows a way to get the preamp +/- 15v power from the power amps +/-35v power supply.

In the build notes and the board purchase information the:
- preamp is referred to as P27b
- the power amp is referred to as P27a

If you are building the preamp for use by itself you would use a +/-15v supply without the +/1 35v first. Project P05 is a regulated +/- 15v supply. Nothing particularly special about it other than it works well and is very compact.

moving_electron said:

Is that what Q1 is for? So C15 directly to out?
Could put a switch to switch it on or off...

Reading the article,
"If you don't need all the gain that is available, simply increase the value of R6 (the first 4k7 resistor) - for even less noise and gain, increase R11 (the second 4k7) as well. For more gain, decrease R11 - I suggest a minimum of 2k2 here. "

What if I make R6 2k2 and put between R6 and GND a Pot, say a 5K. I'd have a controllable gain then? Or replace R6 with a 10K pot.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.