analogue drum circuits

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2005
Hi,
I live in ahmedabad,Gujarat, INDIA.I have trying for a while searching for simple circuits to make drum sounds.I can not afford a commercial drum brain module nad so I would like to make a simple drum brain which could make sounds like snare drum, hi-hat, cymbals and toms. I dont know anything about midi. I want just simple analogue circuit that would have trigger inpits and speaker output.
Amit

A simple place to start is with white noise. If you gate white noise on and off, it sounds more or less like a snare drum. It can also sound like a cymbol, especially a high hat. SInce white noise covers the entire audio spectrum, for different instruments, use simple filters to selectively pass certain frequuencies. Tone controls in essence. High hat wants mostly the higher freqs and the snare wants more middle freqs.

Those can be gated off and on. Other drums tend to ring a bit, SO you need a gate with an envelope. You need to open the gate quickly to simulate impact, then the gate must fade out over a short period to simulate the ringing of the drum. You can still start with white noise, but use filters to roll off the highs at a fairly low freq.

This is crude, but can be surprisingly effective. SOme commercial drum sound units did exactly this method.

If you can find a schematic for a Roland CR8000 or CR5000 drum machine, the sound generating sections works in this manner.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.