60 Hz band reject filter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All-

I did a search and got zip.. So here goes.

Has anyone ever tried a band reject filter to deal with 60 Hz hum from single coil guitar pickups?

I am NOT a musician, but I rewired my neighbor’s guitar and made it dead quiet. So quiet that it picks up the ticks of his watches second hand on his left wrist.

He loved the silence of the guitar but I was still appalled at the hum it picks up.

I will be trying the out steel shielding cups behind the pickups, but I curious to see if anyone had ever tried an electrical solution.

Any inputs welcome!

Optical said:

what did you do to the guitar to make it 'dead quiet'?

First of all I twisted the pick-up coil leads... Instead of them separated and laying all over inside. I think that was most likely the biggest single improvement.

But then I screened the twisted pairs from all three pick-ups (Strat) and grounded to the pick-up switch. Then I used shielded twisted pair wire to connect the switch to the pots and from the pots out to the jack. ALL wire was Silver plated Copper with Teflon insulation. I use it on other projects and had it handy.

Worked well. Picture attached. Before then after.

As for the 60 Hz band reject, I was thinking more on the lines of passive components and making a tank circuit.... I just don't know if it is practical at such a low frequency... The components may have to be too large due to the frequency extreme even though the signal level is miniscule.

Attachments

• 107_0753 (medium).jpg
    107_0753 (medium).jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 220
SIngle coils pick up environmental hum. That is why humbuckers were invented. But humbuckers sound different. As far as I know, there are no silent single coils.

You start hanging filters and circuits all over the guitar input, and you pretty quickly lose its tone.

Might as well use active pickups. Check them out.

You might go over to Seymour DUncan's website for pickup info.

There is a pickup winders forum over at www.ampage.org, but I fon't frequent that room there. All the other forums there are very knowledgable, so I expect this one to be.

Enzo said:

You start hanging filters and circuits all over the guitar input, and you pretty quickly lose its tone.

Hi-

This is going to turn into a project with LOTS of testing!.. Long late hours of drinking beer and listening to my buddy play his guitar to ensure my mods don't infrenge on his tone...

Rough job but somebody has to do it...

I'll start by checking if the offending hum is the second harmonic or the primary 60 cycle pwr.

Then I will calculate some values for the appropriate filter.

Around then it should be time for a beer.

I'll let you know how far I get.... :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.