DC Adapter question for a Guitar Amp??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I plan on making a practice guitar amp by wiring a set of powered computer speakers to a distortion pedal(as a pre-amp).

Here is my question; the pedal require 9V DC and the speakers require 12V. If I use a 12V adapter to power this amp, is there any way that I can split the voltage going in so that 12V goes to the speakers and only 9V to the pre-amp?

Thanks
Jeff

If you use a GOOD DC regulated power supply (it has to be heavy since you must also power the amp - look for more than 1A) then there will be no problems. Pay attention to the polarity of the power connector of the metalzone.

Boss pedals DO sound better with 12-15V on them. Just don't go over 16V, as in some models there's a 100uF 16V capacitor for filtering the Vcc.

There is also a zener across the power input on a lot of them to protect againt too high a voltage. I forget the value.

The reason they tell you to use only their adaptor is: 1. they want you to buy it from them. 2. That way they know it will work for you. 3. In the case of Boss pedals, they rely on clean power from the adaptor so the filter caps in the pedal can be small. Boss adaptors have much better filtration in the adaptor than the rest of the generic adaptors out there. Use a no name adaptor in a Boss and it may well hum a lot. Battery operation eleiminates that source of hum altogether.

Be aware that not all adaptor powered gear uses the same grounding scheme. If one thing grounds the negative and the other thing frounds the positive, adn you connect them both to the same adaptor AND connect them together, you will be shorting across the adaptor. That way not only will nothing work, but you burn out the adaptor pretty quick too.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.