MG15DFX speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I want to either replace the 8" OEM speaker in my Marshall MG15DFX practice amp with a 10" or larger Jensen / Celestion. Anyone have any suggestions? Also, I was wondering if there is a way to use this amp to power a 1x10 / 1x12 cabinet without removing the stock speaker - in other words, add a speaker out jack that would interrupt the internal speaker (like the headphone jack does).

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

R. Bishop

Thanks for all of the constructive advice.

To those of you who suggested I get a tube amp, I have 12 of them. Ranging from an original '59 Bassman to Marshall JCM's to mid 60's Traynors.

For those of you who think there is no place in a guitar player's amp ****nal for a solid state amp for practice or otherwise, I suggest you quit worshipping logos and stop pretending to be "purists".

I know, "tubes rule". They always will sound better than a transistor, but for those of us who don't care what the pimply faced dork at Guitar Center says, there's a ton of possibilities out there - both with tubes and solid state stuff.

I didn't want to replace my speaker with an OEM speaker. I was looking for anyone else who might have played around with improving an already fine little amp.

Merry Christmas

Is there room for a 10 in there?

Wiring a cutout jack is simple, just run common to the sleeve contact, and wire the internal speaker hot to the shunt normal on the jack tip. Then tip runs to the amp out. That way plugging into the jack sets the amp out on the tip to the external, and the internal is disconnected. Voila. SHould be room on the panel for a jack. I would use a plastic jack like the CLiff type because the common leg of the output may not be grounded. It may have a low value resistor in the return leg used as a sample for the feedback loop. SO it would be important to keep the jack insulated from the chassis.

As to the external, run anything you like, Jensen, Clestion or whatever. Have you considered some smaller names like the Webers?

The amp chip is either a TDA20x0 or an LMxxxx equivalent, so whatever externals you chose, respect the minimum impedance load spec.

I like tubes better too, but I agree with you that tone is where you find it. There are lots of fun solid state amps. Peavey's little Rage is a cool example.

Thanks for the legitimate advice. And no, I have no experience with Weber speakers, but as I said, I like to try new stuff and I'm willing to give them a shot.

In the interim, I've replaced the stock speaker with a Jensen P8R8, and the difference is unbelieveable. Rings like a bell and it's moved a little closer to the front of the line of my favorites.

Thanks again..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.