Peavey CS-400 Schematics Wanted

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I could be wrong, but going by their schematics, i have never seen a Peavey amp. worth spending a penny on...

I couldn't agree more with that line above! Those amps have horrible build quality. Peavey is the worst of the worst when it comes to customer support. We are still awaiting 22XT Diaphrams now for over a week... A Schematic for the CS-800 took them three weeks just to e-mail to us. They are a joke!

Mark

It will cost you nothing to try. Send an email to parts@peavey.com and ask for the schematic.

it is unfortunate that Mark had a bad experience, but the vast majority of customers find their support to be excellent. I run a repair shop authorized by Peavey, Fender, MArshall, and a few dozen othre major brands, and after 20 years of it, I cannot think of any other company that even comes close the Peavey's level of support.

As to waiting a week for a part, the factory shuts down for a week's summer vacation, so if you ordered during that period, you wait until they get back. Even so there was a national holiday in the middle of last week. Even our shop ran a couple days behind last week.

When I place a parts order, I always ask when it will ship.

Their build quality may be "horrible," but PV amps are known for being able to withstand heaps of abuse and keep on running. I rarely have to repair charcoal spots on boards on the PVs like I do on the QSC amps, and I rarely have to resolder the predrivers like I do on cetain Crown series amps.

A few years ago when Peavey bought Crest, ther was a relatively large loss of people from the parts department, and they did indeed run way behind on parts orders, and in particular non-revenue orders like schematics. But that was cleared up a long time ago, and they are pretty quick at getting drawings out - unless you catch them on vacation week.

And even then, we can always download any schematics in their file from our dealer support site. There are numerous service centers like mine that are willing to be helpful when the need arises. If they are not available, we are.

Try getting such support from Behringer, try ordering a part from Fender if you are not a dealer.

I am an authorized Behringer warranty service center. I had to sign a non-disclosure agreeement - I cannot divulge schematics - and even the private web sites has to be part of a VPN, so I have to deal with them separately than other web sites. They don't stock commodity parts like LM3886, only their company specific things. Very uptight company in many ways, and yet very lax in others.

I wanted to bail on a repair once and learned the hard way, "We don't have a central tech facility. You service centers are the whole deal."

Thank you very much for the links...
From what i read in here i don't think it will be a goo refururbish this amplifier...
I have some modules of IPA400(very similar to AV400) and i was thinking to sweep the power module of the Peavey cs400 with thoes...
What do you think good/bad ideea
I want to keep the conection boar and thoe's too boards from the front

Sorry for my bad english but///
Regards

WARNING. Peavey uses a crowbar across the speaker terminals. if the amp is blown up, ther is a good possibility the crowbar is shorted. Unless your amp is too old to have it. Th A series does not have it and the B series does. Just measure across the speaker terminals. If it is a dead short, the SAC187 triac is shorted. The little gate drive part is almost never bad. it is located on the board with the speaker posts, not up on the power amp card. So even with the power module disconnected, the short remains. The crowbar detects DC on the output line and when it does, it turns on and shorts across the output. The part usually gives its life in the process, but it keeps your speakers from catching fire.

How is model determined to have the crowbar?

I am measuring 200 ohms across both channel B speaker outputs and infinity "0" across both Channel A outputs.

All output transistors check OK.

Confusing Vacation

I just got back from Florida and got back into the Peavey CS400 fix again. Before I left I took some of your advice and purchased 6 new MJ1500s Transistors and the 2 Triacs. I seem to have the wrong CS-400 schematic and board layout as it is drawn as a single board and mine has 2 seperate boards. I of course marked all the transistor locations but I have gotten myself confused on how to load all the 16 transistors back in. I have these transistors

[10 ]SJ6357
[2] 70484140
[4] SJ6344
[1] NTE60
[6] new MJ15003

But Als I do not know where the new ones go as I cannot find the proper schematic and board layout for my CS400 version.

help would be appreciated.

Enzo said:
It is designed to be a rugged and reliable power amp for live sound. Yeah, it would not be the choice for home stereo. The DDT works well, we never want clip.

Make sure none of the cement resistors are open.

The 478 can be left out for amp testing, you just won't get any DDT limiting. It is a CA3094.

The SJ numbers are house numbers. Ther are newer house numbers and then the generic equivalent.
SJ6357 = 70484140 = MJ15003
SJ6344 = 70481180 = MJ13330

You could just replace the drivers with MJ15003s as well. And since all of them are being replaced at once, you could even move up to MJ15024s all around. Just don't mix types. Even MJ15003 and 15024 have different internal contruction and won;'t share well. Pick one type and fill it up.

Peavey has a master cross reference for semiconductors, you can get it from the parts department there. Peavey will sell you parts directly and they are not unreasonable prices.

I use a lot of the MJ series power xstrs, and I buy them from Allied. Big MJs are about $2.50 each Expect close to $5 elsewhere.

WARNING. Peavey uses a crowbar across the speaker terminals. if the amp is blown up, ther is a good possibility the crowbar is shorted. Unless your amp is too old to have it. Th A series does not have it and the B series does. Just measure across the speaker terminals. If it is a dead short, the SAC187 triac is shorted. The little gate drive part is almost never bad. it is located on the board with the speaker posts, not up on the power amp card. So even with the power module disconnected, the short remains.

The crowbar detects DC on the output line and when it does, it turns on and shorts across the output. The part usually gives its life in the process, but it keeps your speakers from catching fire.

You can get parts and schematics for all Peavey stuff by contacting the parts department. Call 601-483-5365 and ask for parts or email parts@peavey.com Don't forget the cross reference, it lists all the generics for the house numbers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.