New look on simulating tube distortion!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi y'all,

I've come across a nice article in a book about simulating that 'tube distortion sound'.
What it does,is 'rounding' the soundwave instead of clipping.

I've build it, and it sounds nice...
Overdrive sound sounds OK,but the real metal-distortion (high gain stuff) still needs some work.

Any idea's on that?

Any idea's on how to run this thingy on a single voltage supply?
I really don't have the time to look for this now now, maby one opf you guys does have the interest AND the time.

Cher your thoughts on this baby, 'cause it really is a nice peace of work!

(voltage supply: dual voltage supply +/- 5V....+/-15V)

Cheers,
Barre

Attachments

• tubedistortion.jpg
    tubedistortion.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 2,246
Metal sound, hehe: just use the baddest opamp(if you can, a non-audio) you can find, plug power, plug in to + in(Line level), ground - in and plug output to headphones. I have only tried this by plugging it in a tuner and it distorted much. Don't know if you can do metal with this.

Note, I used no caps and resistors when doing this(maybe only one res. at the out to gnd or in, but I don't remember).

Just a reply

Thankx Dimitri (again,hèhè...you're so in to this aren't you!)

Thx Optical, that was my idea too.
I'll try that a.s.a.p. (should work).
I don't have any other circuits like this, but I think a lot off stuff can be taken from this little basic circuit.

I haven't seen this on any forum yet or online on a site,that's wy I posted it.

I'll try to work on high gain sounds, maby....I'll do some calculations myself.

Thx DragonMaster, but by 'metalsound' I mean a nice DEFINED sound,not just lots of noise.
Even though some peaple might like that, I don't lol
(but thanx anyway!)

Cheers
Barre

Optical said:
[BFor single supply mode you could put a voltage divider on a 9V battery to make a crude +/-4.5V supply.. [/B]

You could also take the battery from a mobile phone you have scraped .. it shouldn't be impossible to get 2 3.6 Volt types or a single 4.6 Volt type if you team up with a few friends.

Also they are becoming quite affordable, and will last much much longer than a 9 Volt battery. You only need to build in a charger circuitry.

As for the metal sound or any sound actually I've been contemplating doing a circuit like yours with soft clipping and one with hard clipping and combine the two with a (digital) volume control on each that way you should be able to emulate practically any sound you like. And with the mentioned digital volume control and a control circuit it should be possible to make an effect pedal that is fully custumiable.

Hope it helps.

Try this!

Try coupling it with another gain circuit.

Maybe something with a moderate amount of gain using Tantium caps so it is a bit grainy like Metal distortion generally is.....that might even be the solution for this circuit. Raise the gain and try some Tantium in choice areas.

....using caps and resistors to voice audio circuits really works wonders. I think often if someone has a nack at this the whole tube vs SS doesn't even matter. Good tone is good tone.....oddly from the studies I've done, Push Pull amplifiers seem to be one of the best amps to use when simulating tube sound and response, rather than certain mosfets.

I think dual gains is key in taking distortions to a new place though. With two gain controls you could dial them in so one is dominant or they are equal. Hence the reason to have one tube or a fuzz and the other grainy and harsh.

I'd also think using an active op amp filter system would be preferable over your basic tone stack......or at least add an active bandpass filter. They do amazing things when coupled with a tone stack.

Unfortunately for me I'm not expereinced enough to engineer these projects, just design them.

Hope this gives you some ideas. I'm full of them!

My recepie for heavy-metal sound:

use ordinary diode clipping methods, fancy soft clipping circuits won't make any differnce for metal.

use atleast 40dB of gain beyond headroom, total gain can be as high as 60-80dB

Cut the bass-response before your clipping stage at about 1KHz , pre-overdrive tone shaping is essential

post-clipping tone shaping/filters are essential... most more than the actual clipping method...

yehhh :D use the cheapest opamp you can find u741 is just fine...
goodluck

Best solid state guitar amp is

Hi guys,

Try this........ www.bluetoneamps.com

I bought one recently and it ended my search for the best sounding solid state guitar amplifier. No contest. These guys have finally cracked it, it really does behave like a valve amplifier and sounds better than any modern valve amp I've heard. It's FET based but honestly you would think it's loaded with EL34s, it really is that good. And it's a fraction of the price of a Pritchard amp, as well as sounding so much better. Its endorsed by Pete Townshend amongst others!

The text on the website isn't exactly inspirering.. it's the same old story you can find everywhere on the web.. and my guess is that they don't wanna tell their secret or haven't got one.. the sound clip doesn't sound that great either... but thanks for the link.. I'll keep that name in my backhead.. and will definitely try one if I happen to see one...

Greetz,
Thijs

Hi....try talking to them!

Hi, I have spoken to them about the amp in some depth, before I bought one. They have apparently gone for a less sensational approach on purpose. The reviews are very good (bloody brilliant, actually) and the players they've got endorsing the amp speak for themselves, don't they? I first tried it at a music show over here nearly 2 years ago now, and I couldn't believe what I was hearing. It was £950 then and well out of my price range but when it came down to £499 I had to have one, it really is that good. The sound files don't do it justice at all (sounds out of time to me). Email them and get yourself put on the Blue Tone news letter they send out every month.

I've been playing for a long time now and I really do think they have got the vintage valve tone absolutely nailed - and then some. It really is organic, the sound isn't processed at all and the overall tone is warm, clear and full of 'balls' as someone else has written on another site somewhere!

Try it - I'm sure you'll be as amazed as I was.

I love this place

This is such a great site for sharing information and insight.

I attempted to post on a guitarists site about the truth of being able to build solid states as good and better than tube amps, and I got lynched!

It's slow going but I have a killer tube emulation amp in the works. If all goes right I'll be able to dial in vintage and modern tube tone.

I'm also planning on incorporating a really simple analog cabinet modeling circuit with a whole mess of tones!

I hope to take it to market someday even though I am just a novice. Anyway, once it's finished I'll post the schematic and hopefully you guys will improve upon it for me........actually I'm certain you will!

^I will be very interested to see/hear what you come up with if you share your design! -I will def. build it..

For the record, i have heard some spectacular sounding solid state guitar amps (e.g Marshall Park range) that have sounded much much better than some top valve guitar amps (marshall JTM's), but there is something unique about my valve amp that i use now.. overdriving the output stage just sounds so damn ..phat! (Gunn amp)

basically i couldnt scoff at either, if there were two amps in question then an A-B test would determine which i preferred, no matter what they were built from..

Blue Tone

This Blue Tone amp is the best solid state you'll hear. It is, as you say, 'phat'. It's based on a 50w EL34 filled valve amp and I actually think it sounds better than most modern valve amps. The great thing about it is that you can get a big valve sound out of it at a sensible volume. You can actually take this down to the local pub and crank it up without deafening yourself or anyone else for that matter. As I've said before, what's the point in buying a valve amp (for lots of money) and then ruining the sound by putting a load of solid state pedals in front of it because you can't turn it up loud enough to get the crunch in the first place?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.