DIY Readings...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Okay, I'm a straight newbie here. So, some of the terms thrown around in here, I know. But many, I don't.

So, I wanted to ask, being a person who is really interested in the design and development of professional recording equipement (mics, mic pre-amps, consoles, monitors, etc...), what text could I pick up to give me a start towards understanding what goes into creating such products?

I know that the classification most of this would fall under is audio engineering (which began as my major in undergrad but I quickly switched), but it seems like there aren't many texts out there that get into the concrete (more like the theoretical).

So can anybody help me out?

mics, mic pre-amps, consoles, monitors, etc.

Nope no cold shoulder ;-) Not a lot of diy'ers are into this.

But just bump this thread every now and then. And you might just attract someone...

www.audioasylum.com have a pro audio section and Kevin Carter of the K&K audio sub forum knows a thing or two about mics and mic preamps...So does Paul Joppa and Doc. B over at the bottlehead sub forum.

Why not try there as well...Maybe be more specific as well. Your title is also very general and does not attract people with the specific knowledge you seek.

Cheers,
Bas

If DIY plans is what you're after (and I feel these are very helpful in coming to grips with different types of electronic circuits), there are a lot of sites where these are presented. One of them is this one: http://www.gyraf.dk/ . And then there is www.machmat.com.
Of course most of these sites are dedicated to vintage valve equipment, since it's no longer available (cost effectively) and delivers a certain "sound", not to mention the fact that it is easier to DIY.

Hope this is of some use, and good luck!

Jarno.

Hope this did relieve you of the "cold-shoulder" feeling?

Book title on the tip of tongue and just remembered it...

Craig Anderton: Electronic Projects for Musicians

Got me started on all this when I was younger and gave me a lot of stuff to go and look up. I try not to think of pro gear as different from 'phile quality home stuff, since a lot of it is used interchangeably, especially for playback purposes. Mics and mic pre's, I don't know much about since just about every time I've used a mic it went into a console and used the on-board gain. I do know that you should try to make the signal cleaner and with greater range as you get closer to the source so that your noise doesn't accumulate as you get to the amps.

Sounds cool (so to speak.)

:)ensen.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.