guitar amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi
I'm Shezan from Bangladesh.
recently I picked up 2 25watt 8ohm and 25watt 8ohm speakers from old subwoofer system.

so, I was planning to use those speakers on a guitar amp. I researched online but the answer was vague. I wanted to make a 80to100 watt guitar amp with transistor type thingys. I made a few amps with lm 386 and tda 2030. but they didn't sound that great.

can anyone provide me information on what type of guitar amp should I build and if possible with full diagram / schematic.

and can I get some tone control, cause I mostly play Metallica and lamb of god and slayer kinda genre

for metal sound I can try making a distortion pedal later.

I'm asking for chip amps because its hard to find tube or stuffs like that in my country. and ebay/amazon doesn't also ships here.

TIA

I am guessing your speakers will not be appropriate if they are subwoofers. Could you post a couple of pictures of them. The first question is what chip amplifiers do you have available. No sense specifying something that you can not get. I would say go with a Marshall design.

5010.gif

YouTube

I made a few amps with lm 386 and tda 2030. but they didn't sound that great.

In general, conventional solid state amplifiers sound like crap when clicked. (There's a few exceptions to prove the rule)

So the questions is: what's going in the various good sounding amps and how do we emulate them in silicon

There's at least two recent threads on this topic. I nparticular GnoBuddy has spent a fair bit of time working out how to get a decent tone from a non-valve amp.

Look at the following threads
Tube Emulation
Creative Clipping
Battery Powered Princeton (last half)

nishadul islam;5521380 said:
for metal sound I can try making a distortion pedal later.

A good pedal to start with would be the Runoffgroove Thunderbird. I have the Thor (it's predecessor) which is not half bad.

Metal/Distortion is all about gain scheduling. There's a thread somewhere else (gearslutz?) by a bloke called Slipperman on recording distorted guitars. Find it and read it.

In particular GnoBuddy has spent a fair bit of time working out how to get a decent tone from a non-valve amp.
In all honesty, I have to say that I have never made any attempt to get the sort of guitar sounds the OP wants (slayer, lamb of god, and Metallica), with any type of guitar or guitar amp, either DIY or commercial. So it is unlikely that any of my attempts at getting acceptable guitar sound from solid-stage circuits will be of any use to the OP in this thread. :eek:

I am also completely unqualified to offer any useful suggestions on how to make those sorts of guitar sounds, so I'm afraid I have nothing more to offer here. Other than to wish the OP good luck in his quest. :)

-Gnobuddy

I am also completely unqualified to offer any useful suggestions on how to make those sorts of guitar sounds, so I'm afraid I have nothing more to offer here. Other than to wish the OP good luck in his quest. :)
You're too modest. :)

Most of the amps loved by metal heads don't vary that far from our standard favourites, but they do a heap more gain, have multiple clipping stages which clip in specific order and, generally, less power supply sag. Plus a bit of anti-fart in the coupling circuits.

The best explanation of high gain amp I've found is AmpBooks Soldano analysis

Tone-clip-tone-clip-tone. Lather, rinse, repeat. Etc etc etc.

Worth looking at the Gilmourish comparison of a Big Muff and the Tubescreamer, if you're considering distortion pedals

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.