Shure body pack transmitter TA-4 wiring with generic mic capsule: Linkwitz mod?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi:

I have the wiring diagram for a Shure beltpack wireless mic transmitter I don't remember the model of (not mine). I need to rig another mic capsule to a spare TA-4 connector (I have) for someone if they can't find their Shure WL-93 lavalier mic.

I'm planning on starting with a three-wire 3.5 mm generic lapel mic I have lying around, but hoping the person finds their 'properly-designed' mic.

Shure's pinout is
pin 1 shield
pin 2 bias (+5 VDC)
pin 3 audio
pin 4 bias return: 20k to ground or equivalent active bias mgmt. circuit. Typ. jumpered to pin 3 with most condenser mics (real condensers, not ECM?)

My question is whether anyone has ever tried Linkwitz modding an ECM capsule using a body pack transmitter that provides 5V bias...or just go for simplicity and cut off the 3.5 mm plug and wire the ECM directly?

By ECM is actually mean
Step 1) Try a generic PC mic with lapel clip I have lying around. (Probably better than a missing mic)
Step 2) take one of several left over raw ECM capsules I got years ago and only used a few of.

Thanks!

Murray

Found the Shure mic, but now I’m curious about the ECM capsules I re-found...

Matsushita logo, so call ‘em Panasonic,
Marked 54C1.

I’n not finding much online. They don’t look like anything special, but they’re convenientky available and larger than the last ones I altered.

I see JLI in Pennsylvania has some 52-53-54 models that are also garden variety.

Thank you.

Musician found her lavalier mic that got separated from the body pack xmtr.
Tiny...fits in a Rode violin mic mount.

Buys me some time...needed for Saturday.

I haven’t done Linkwitz surgery in a while...I still want to consider making a ‘backup’ or spare, since I have the TA4F’s.

I am reluctant to assume results will compare to something designed & measured in a mic mfr’s lab, but it’s a cheap experiment.

These Matsushita 54C1’s are weird. The terminal I expected to be grounded to the case was about 60 ohms above the case. There were three ‘tabs’ extending radially toward the case but they have a black coating over them. I scraped at the tabs for quite a while until I exposed copper. I cut through all three tabs and the ‘isolated’ terminal was still a steady 152 ohms above the case. I wondered if there was a resistor in the coating or internally.

The black coating still touched the terminal I had ‘isolated’ by scraping through the 3 copper tabs. I scraped a clean perimeter border around that terminal and it is now isolated from the case (>60 M).

Weird...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.