Ac30

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Mythique AC30 !!
Je me lance dans la realisation d'une copie de VOX , double PP de EL84 , sur le site http://www.ptsoundlab.com , Pascal Tajan donne les carracteristiques et le schema "amelioré" d'une telle realisation, il me manque pourtant les carracteristiques du transfo d'alim (U & I de la HT, I du chauffage). Si quelqu'un pouvait m'aiguiller !!!!
merci .
:bawling:

Attachments

• ac30front.jpg
    ac30front.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 457
AC30

Sorry I'm a beginer on Forum site , I try to explain my problem. I'm trying to build an guitar ampli based on EL 84 dubble push-pull which gives aproximatively 30W. I know the definition of outer transformator but iI need information about power alimentation transformator . I need (intensity and tension about high tension (I supose 2X 180VAC) and also the intensity about warmer tube system (6.3 VAC)).
So if somebody had done this realisation or have this information !!!
I had kept the schema of this realisation on very intrusting web site about tube amplifier named http://www.ptsoundlab.com .
thank you for answer.

AC30

Ok, Ok !
I change my glasses.
:xeye:

The answer is on the original schematic but in the new version (with new power suply defined by the autor of the site) the high voltage is 2X180VAC only . Is it a mistake ? I supose it is, because to obtain 320VCC after the selfic part, 180VAC is too low. The goal of my initial question is to have a confirmation before buying this expensive part.
:cool:

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Is it a mistake ?

Depends on how he rectifies the AC voltage but if he uses a valve rectifier then, yes.

BTW, Pascal is a member here as well. Have you sent him an e-mail regarding this?

The goal of my initial question is to have a confirmation before buying this expensive part.

I understand. While I am not too sure about the actual value of the B+ secondary as it is not clearly readable even with my super glasses ;) it shouldn't be too far off:

So on the secondary side you need a centertapped (CT) 280-0-280VAC 160mA winding.
5VAC 2A to heat the rectifier.
6.3 VAC 6A to heat the EL84s and 12A*7s.
I noticed there is a static shield between primary and secondary as well so specify that too (it never hurts).

Cheers,;)

Hello,
I have send a mail to Pascal, but I supose he have not enough time to answer me.
I suppose his mail box is full of questions and remark about his web site ......
:whazzat:
For me this projet will spend more time, first I need to resolve the problem of the box (I have not any hability to work the wood) in secund there is the problem of steel sheet support (I'have not enought define the inplantation of differents components) third I will work on the wiring of differents components . I think that the right method is to go step by step.
:djinn:
For the power supply I note your remark about secondary side definition ( 280-0-280VAC 160mA and 6.3 VAC 6A to heat the EL84s and 12A*7s) .
I will not the 5VAC 2A because I will change the valve rectifier by a Diode.

Thank you very much for your help and sorry for my bad english.

Bye

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

I will not the 5VAC 2A because I will change the valve rectifier by a Diode.

Keep in mind that in that case you could just as well use a different secundary winding altogether as you'll have to burn off some serious excess voltage that way.

I don't play electric guitar but knowing more than a few of them I know they'd all say that a big part of the amps' sound is due to the kind of rectifier used....
None of them would even consider copying a VOX "sans" the tube rectifier anyway.

Thank you very much for your help and sorry for my bad english.

No problem, I speak French as well but we have to respect the other members.

Cheers,;)

Hello everybody !!!
Nice day, today !!!
Spring is at least at home !!!
:) :cool:

I go down on the hearth!!!
Remember !!
I'm bulding an guitar ampli copy based on AC30 draft edited on the intrusted web site managed by P TRAJAN
I would to build the wood box , but I need the general dimension of the basic AC30.
If an luky owner of this ampli would give to me this information, Iwill become the happyest man of the word !!!!:devilr:
So, If I can get the dimensions of the steel elctronic componants plate !! !

:clown:

AC30

Hello the earth!
I have a little problem:
I have not a possibility to make a test but I ask me a question :
What's append if I replace a GZ34 in the power supply of a VOX amplifier by 2 solids rectifier referenced 1N4001 ( they are speedy rectifier )?
should I have the same supply tension , current and dynamic as with the original tube rectifier?
:bulb:
thank for answers

1N4001s are a bad choice to start with. 1N4007 or 1N5408 are prefered for tube amps. That said the resulting rise in voltage could damage the main filter caps and any other components that are not designed for the new higher operating voltage. Also the Vox tone is the result of a few things Vox did differently than say Marshall.
One is the tube rect. Another is the open loop power amp design.
Changing any of these will effect the tone and the resale value of the amp. Just my $.o2 :)

Hi,
It's the return of ALADIN .
The cabinet of my AC30 is ended, all covered by vox tolex and with its special diamant stuff on front face.
The 2 parts of the amp frame are cuted and formed.
Only the mains caps and coil are missed.
I need someboby to help me about the values of the coil part.
I use the diagram of AC30 reissue (issue 5 of december 1994)
AMP
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

and PREAMP
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

On the old diagram of1960

the pi filter was composed by a 10Hy 100mA (or 20Hy) between 2 caps of 16mF 450V.
In this new reissue schema the unknowed value of coil is between 2 x 22mF 450V
Is this somebody to help a poor french guy to ended his VOX amp?
thank you for your answer.

Hi choky,
sorry but Ii think that I use better the soldering iron than english spoken.
It's my third amp realisation:
1st the octane (SE with EL34 )of AX84 site
2nd an california dream (my 1st PP of 6v6) of AX84 site
3rd THE VOX AC30 in building
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The right link of the diagram of 1960 is
http://flintholm.dk/vox/VOXAMPS/AC30/AC30NM1960.HTM
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So my question was about the value (not ol the coil, it's a wrong word) of the choke between the 2 caps of 22 microFarad.

In this diagram the filter of ht supply is given by a choke of 10 to 20 Hy (100mA) between 2 caps of 16 microFarad. Do you think that the value of the choke is the same value. For information in the last issue the fist capacity of the ht supply of the AC30-60-02-TOP BOOST is became 47 microFarad.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.