Help me see design difference between 2 channelstrips

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello friends!
I wonder if anyone can spot component differencies for me between two channelstrips by Raindirk.

I have no knowledge about electronics other than some DIY modular soldering.
So please bare with me.
Im about to buy a vintage Raindirk mini mixer from 1974.
I was hoping that it would share the same design and sound as a bigger Raindirk mixer called ”Series 3” that was released around the same time.

Today I received a pic of the channelstrip from the mini mixer Im about to buy and in my world the design and components look very different from the ”series 3”

Is someone able to have a peek at the photos and tell me if they are far apart in design?
Do you think the Mini mixer is a downgrade in quality and expensive components compared to the ”series 3”?
What are the big chunks on mini mixer and what replaces the big chunks on the other one??

The mini mixer seem to have so much less components inside.. is that a bad thing?

Please note that the Series 3 has selective freqs on bass & treble while mini mixer has one fixed. It has more auxes aswell and 2 ch more of bus routing.

I wrote wich one is wich with red markings.

Very very thankfull for any help I can get!

The Series 3 mixer as a lot of history, recording most of Queens song, led zeppelin, hey jude by Beatles etc etc..

My best.
//Ted

Attachments

• 871AB328-6CF3-434E-9CF9-656D4E991529.jpeg
    871AB328-6CF3-434E-9CF9-656D4E991529.jpeg
    78.1 KB · Views: 112
  • C4E85CA1-92AA-4545-80BE-CFCEF1051051.jpeg
    C4E85CA1-92AA-4545-80BE-CFCEF1051051.jpeg
    136.3 KB · Views: 109
  • 0E241636-E611-4DCA-820E-E1455CD57A27.jpeg
    0E241636-E611-4DCA-820E-E1455CD57A27.jpeg
    87.2 KB · Views: 110
  • 5BEE92A8-56FC-4EDC-A666-EFD6C0293457.jpeg
    5BEE92A8-56FC-4EDC-A666-EFD6C0293457.jpeg
    131.3 KB · Views: 100
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2011
The mini mixer seem to have so much less components inside.. is that a bad thing?

Please note that the Series 3 has selective freqs on bass & treble while mini mixer has one fixed. It has more auxes aswell and 2 ch more of bus routing.
Less components = less that can go wrong, so not really a bad thing. Also bear in mind that the Mini was intended for the TV broadcast and radio market, whereas the Series was for the recording studios. So the Mini was simpler... but since both models were designed around the same time ('74), so I'm guessing that most of the parts/IC's/transistors used would be about the same.

Less components = ... but since both models were designed around the same time ('74), so I'm guessing that most of the parts/IC's/transistors used would be about the same.

Thank you for your answer!
So, if we only talk sound and Dont mind the parts needed for features such as more auxes sends more frequency choises etcetc.. would you guess that the parts for actual sound processing/eq/amplifyieng etc is very alike?

Thank you for your time!
//Ted

Yes, except for the EQ section, obviously.

Thanks. You mean except the Eq section since its lacking freq choices in Bass and treble or are you saying there is something sifferent in the signal path for eq section?

What I wish for is to have the same sound/result when i boost lets say 5 db on the same freq on both mixers and that the mini mixer sounds like the Series 3. I understand they may sound different as its old components but you get what I mean.
Thanks again!

Just cursorily gazing at the two, the Series 3 appears to be MUCH more professionally built; also has nice socketed ICs which which would allow upgrading.

Do you mean more proffesionally built in that the a components are of better quality or rather just constructed in a better way?

Also, ICs is that something you would change from something built in 74?

Thanks!!

Ok thank you!

So, last question. Then I will leave you in peace! :)

In general, what are your thoughts on the design/components on the mini mixer?
I mean my only preferences of cahnnelstrips that I have worked with for many years are Neve 1073s / Api eq/pres as well as old 60’s Siemens stuff and all of them (maybe except Api’s), are totally crammed with components trannys etc..
is this a poor design in comparison?

Many thank you’s for your time!

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2011
It can’t be a poor design, as some world famous studios and musicians used the Series 3 to make great albums, even though the Mini was not intended for the studios per se, the standard was still quite high, because BBC and the radio stations weren’t the easiest people to please. ;)

I told you I wouldnt bother you anymore but i lied.. :)
Just out of quriosity. Since I want to get more into DIY electronics anyway.
What are the components and their function that I have marked with red on the new photo?
These are all components that the Mini mixer does not have.

Especially the silver/chrome small ones to the right. I remember I peeked into a Purple Eq once (attached aswell) and the guy knowing theese things pointed at the chromed small parts like the once marked and said that those had a very important impact on the sound.
but I that was years ago and I cant remember what it did.
Any idea of what those are?

Thanks a million again! ;)

Attachments

• 80C97746-29C3-4224-89F1-6C00F015D795.jpeg
    80C97746-29C3-4224-89F1-6C00F015D795.jpeg
    123.1 KB · Views: 61
  • 2B13073C-E496-4C66-86E6-8573DE9B03D1.jpeg
    2B13073C-E496-4C66-86E6-8573DE9B03D1.jpeg
    451.4 KB · Views: 52
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2011
What are the components and their function that I have marked with red on the new photo?
The round cans are metal-can IC's. The little square one on the left is a relay.

These are all components that the Mini mixer does not have.
I guess they skipped the relay in the Mini, but the Mini does use IC's as well, just not in the metal-can packages.

Especially the silver/chrome small ones to the right.
Those are the capacitors for the EQ section, and yes, they do alter the sound as a part of the filter circuit just they do in the Purple EQ.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2011
Not really, the Mini just uses a different type of capacitor, you can replace them with the "silver/chrome" ones (likely polypropylene or polystyrene) if you like.

The location of the filter network capacitors in the Mini (likely polyester) are shown in the box below:
Mini.jpg

I was peering at the pictures to try to read the opamp IC specs, but not quite sharp enough. Replacing them would be a great idea if possible, and easy if they are socketted. All the design theory and form-factor pin-outs etc are still the same for many modern ones, but pin-compatible newer designs are much lower noise.

I have an ancient 12 channel mixer from 1979, a really solid piece of gear from that time using 741 opamps. But my 15 year old Soundcraft is way quieter. Also, I built a stereo amp in 1979, and upgrading the chips 10 years later was a big improvement.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.