Tube preamp + class D poweramp power supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello guys,

I'm a rock guitar player and I have a guitar combo amp project in my mind, aiming to get something well-sounding, light and portable, while being on low budget.
It would be basically Marshall Plexi preamp like this (top-right):
http://cdn.tonegeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2203-Preamp.gif

Connected to TPA3118-based Class D poweramp (something like this):
KKmoon TPA3118 PBTL Mono Digital Amplifier Board Module 1*60W Power AMP DC 8-24V: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

And going into 4 to 8 Ohm speakers:
It would be built in with 12" Jensen Neodymium 8 Ohm speaker, but I'm also thinking about adding a parallel external speaker output and making an extension cabinet with the same speaker, so there would be a 212 4 Ohm roar when I need it.

The idea seems reasonable to me, having a diy-made preamp that distorts really well and takes other stompboxes even better (+ the schematic looks very simple), hooked to nice and ridiculously cheap clean power amp + speakers that are very light.

However, what I realized is I have no idea how to power this thing. Also, it would be my first try with tubes so I don't even know how to properly apply heating to it...

Ideally, I'd like to have preamp and poweramp fed from one transformer if that's possible. But I imagine I would need a transformer with three secondary windings: 240 to 24 / 12.6 / whatever this preamp needs.

Any help would be highly appreciated, thanks in advance!

I might have an idea or two. I think this one might be smaller and cheaper. DC-DC Boost Converter 8~32V to 45~390V High Voltage ZVS Step up Booster Module | eBay

If you can find a 24V laptop brick you run the heaters of the two tubes in series and across the 24V. If you have a 19V supply three tubes in series using them with 6.3V works out. What would I do with another tube?

IWns2V7.png

With just two.

daCoLS9.png

Which are interesting projects but sticking with a basic 2204 preamp circuit might be best for a beginner. There are other ways of getting your heater current there are step up and step down voltage modules. Boost Buck DC adjustable step up down Converter XL6009 Module Voltage NEW 664467129867 | eBay

Last edited:
Got inspired enough to start a pedal sized version of my first schematic. Stripped some old tube sockets from a Wurlitzer organ and mounted them on a bracket which will be mounted to the top plate. High voltage module will be inside the box naturally. Not sure if I am going to go 19V or 24V at the moment. Build will be documented in my 'If you had a 12AX7 and SS amp' thread.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.