Small 117N7 guitar amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Can you all give me a critique of this design for a 2 watt 117N7 guitar practice amp. Thanks in advance. Not all the details are finished as I still would have to build the prototype, I'm not a design expert and this would be a simple amp. The 1g6g driver, phase splitter heater would be powered by the (H) designation off the attached schematic.

Attachments

• 117N7 PP amp.png
    117N7 PP amp.png
    54.3 KB · Views: 119
Your schematic is too small to read properly, so I may have it wrong.

240 volt B+ from? If the 130v ac figure is correct you will have about 180v there. Can the 117N7 take it?

The 1G6G is a directly heated (1.4v dc) valve. The filament is the 'cathode'. Both triode sections share this, so you cannot use each triode section interdependently or bias them with cathode resistors as drawn.

Ultralinear output stage in a guitar amp? I haven't seen that done, usually we want all the non-linearity we can get in the output stage of a guitar amp.

Also, there should probably be screen grid resistors, both to protect the output valves, and to prevent unwanted high frequency oscillations.

-Gnobuddy

Fender has done ultralinear for a period of time after CBS took over. They were not well thought of although Fender might have made it work with more design work. As a practice amp it should not matter too much, one less filter stage in the PS.The power transformer has a 240V output but I think the output tube section is only rated for 120V. I would say if you are going to buy transformers for an amp you can throw in a couple of bucks for some common tubes rather than going off the beaten path if you are a beginner.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.