Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Best ECC83/12AX7 for Tube Mic
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th April 2018, 10:59 PM   #1
SoundSound is offline SoundSound  Ireland
diyAudio Member

Default Best ECC83/12AX7 for Tube Mic

I was lucky enough to find a NOS SE ICIS Tube Mic. The stock valve is highly microphonic. So I would like to buy the new puppy a present.
DD
Old 16th April 2018, 12:20 AM   #2
Eli Duttman is offline Eli Duttman  United States
diyAudio Member

Buy a tube from a reputable dealer that has been selected for superior noise and microphonic performance. Several current production variants are quite satisfactory. Be willing to pay a bit extra for a kick butt specimen.
Old 16th April 2018, 12:31 AM   #3
rayma is offline rayma  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundSound View Post
I was lucky enough to find a NOS SE ICIS Tube Mic. The stock valve is highly microphonic.
A 7025 should be good. www.thetubestore.com - Preferred Series 7025 Audio Tubes
Old 16th April 2018, 12:47 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default EU

Thanks for the swift and helpful thoughts. To refine the question, I should have offered more perspective. So... I'm in Ireland, so EU or UK sources easier for me.
My friend at hifitubes.nl has offered me a Tele NOS ECC83 for about 150 bucks. Also a Tele NOS ECC803S for 700, LOL. But the Mic cost me only about 350 so I am wondering if there would be a transformation sonically? There are various UK, Billington, Langrex, Watford, and the German TubeDoctor offering 'Premium' new stock. On my island, a Guitar shop is offering a JJ ECC83S for about 15 bucks.

DD
Old 16th April 2018, 01:09 AM   #5
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Perhaps start with the JJ and see if it actually makes a difference, there is not much point to tube rolling expensive tubes if you can't discern any difference between what is in there now and a different tube.
Old 16th April 2018, 03:12 AM   #6
BillWojo is offline BillWojo  United States
diyAudio Member

Since this sounds like a higher end product, lets start by telling us the brand of tube that it came with. Specially selected tubes may be marked with paint on the tip of the tube. Does it have anything like that? How about some pictures.

BillWojo
Old 16th April 2018, 02:05 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default Hi Lo

It is remarkably well built and Recordings done on my friend's Mark 2 version are really quite something. There are gushing reviews of these mics out there. It didn't easily make it into my studio, my other vocal mics are U67's. Not kidding. The mic rings like a bell when gently tapped, so I presume that is the stock valve. Again my friend confirms same thing. He is using a Billington Gold ECC83.
DD
Old 16th April 2018, 02:47 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Sorted. All this new flood of information arriving today from the friend. Seems the Billington Gold is a very good choice, and his Guitar Amp guy actually keeps stock of them, and is coming to Cork this week. 20 Euros. Billington are wholesalers..... So basically I am buying a not new specially non microphonic Chinese build, from a reputable dealer, tested and guaranteed. And I have heard it in action on vocals on an album I played on.
Thanks for you speedy and helpful inputs.
Best, DD

Best ECC83/12AX7 for Tube MicHide this!Advertise here!