Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Crybaby From Hell (Dimebag Wah DB-01) @ 18volts?!
Crybaby From Hell (Dimebag Wah DB-01) @ 18volts?!
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th April 2018, 06:52 PM   #11
Psicopanque is offline Psicopanque  Brazil
diyAudio Member

no, dear Dave, you didn't scare me at all, instead, i've felt so happy to see your elaborated reply filled with goodwill and helpful info

thanks so much for your time helping, for sure i'll look into it carefully and then post here the findings, for everyone to benefit from the information

i'll do it within this month, i'm working on the recording of our band songs, its kinda tough now cause we have no PC nor interface/DAC... we just gigged live and recorded a video on android smartphone with stock galaxy microphone (laughs)

after i finish extracting the audio tracks and stuff to make our 11 songs available, then i'll proceed with the DB01 18v issue

i could do it in parallel with the album/songs release, but we are kinda in a tough time here, we have to find another place to go and we've been through some harassment in my town;

i'd wish that we could move from brazil to uruguay to get away from this evil people...

well you kinda got the picture and i just explained the situation to justify the delay on the wah subject that we're all working together on this wonderful forums, so keeping on topic: it might get some time for me to find out the SMD/IC/Fasel inductor tolerances, but for sure it will be done within this month while theres still stability, since i don't know whats coming for us next month and so

thanks so much for your help! soon we will uncover this DB-01 9to18v mystery!

hugs, Guima!
Old 14th April 2018, 07:04 PM   #12
dlvoots is offline dlvoots  United States
diyAudio Member

Best of luck to you then! I'll check back on this thread once in a while.

Dave
Old 12th June 2018, 12:06 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

alright... sorry for taking long on it:

-the dunlop guys replied my email, they said its not safe to operate on higher voltages such as 18v

-i havent inspected the smd to find out it's tolerances;

since i've achieved better tone results modding a mesa engineering bottle rocket pedal and a blackheart bhhd amp, for now i'll call it a day and settle for a while

maybe when i get extra cash and find a great, trustworthy tech, i'd send him the 'crybaby from hell' to upgrade it to my specs

or turning the dreaming mode on: if someday i manage to become a big rockstar, i'd ask dunlop to change some stuff like adding a third output jack with true bypass, mid boost, mid potentiometer, increased cockness and headroom... y'all know... that stuff :P

now back to real life, i have another question to ask y'all, and i'll also ask dunlop and post here their reply, but the opinions of diy audio forum members are very important and appreciated:

the 'crybaby from hell' claims to have a low impedance, high quality buffer, but is it really good?

(i've tested with my ears, i'd say the signal gets tamed a bit regarding desireable raw imperfections when plugged guitar straight into the amp, but no clarity/dynamics loss when buffered... i've also noticed less volume variation or we can say more even output whichever pickups were selected [when plugged guitar straight into amp, the bridge jb had way more loudness, followed by the neck vintage mini, and when both pickups were selected on parallel there was a noticeable faintness on output... but with the crybaby from hell's buffer, i've found these differences subtle])

even so, its better to discuss here about this buffer;

another question:

the pedal have two outputs, since its buffered, can it be considered 'buffered signal splitter' i mean... can i safely plug both outputs on different tube amps without damaging them or causing signal interference/mixing both?

thanks in advance
Old 13th June 2018, 12:51 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

the dunlop team replied first, so i'll share here what was said:

-the pedal buffer is high quality, MC406, same used on MXR CAE

-it supports stereo splitting (2 amps simultaneously)

-the person who replied me said it has one output thats always buffered and the second output can be set either buffered or unbuffered, then i've asked him if the unbuffered option is true bypass or hardwire, when he replies, then i'll edit this post

hope it helps u all

bb
Old 18th June 2018, 01:48 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

since I couldn't edit the post above, here it goes:

dunlop replied with "if the secondary output is set to unbuffered then it is a passive thru that is directly connected to the input"

Crybaby From Hell (Dimebag Wah DB-01) @ 18volts?!Hide this!Advertise here!