modding Laney cub10 6v6 amp for 6L6

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I want to put 6L6 valves in my 6v6 Laney cub 10

I understand the main problem with this is heater current draw. The power trafo in the cub10 is the same used in the Laney vc15 and lc15. Adding up all the heater currents in these amps comes to 2.4a. Adding up the heater current draw for the cub10 with 6L6 also comes to 2.4a so I should be fine there.

My question is - is there any other reason not to do this?

I'm guessing I may end up overloading the output transformer. Laney use this transformer in their 15w amps as well but am I right in thinking CUB10 with 6L6 would be more like 20w?

Happy to purchase another output transformer if that'll make it work, just wondering if I'm missing anything else.

I'd rather mod this amp than buy a bigger amp as I love it's small form factor, light weight and the fact I already have it!

The schematic is here
http://www.thetubestore.com/lib/thetubestore/schematics/Laney/Laney-Cub-10 (2009)-Schematic.pdf

Cheers
Ben

The main problem would be the output transformer then, if the power transformer can take the increased current, not only from the heaters but also from the increased current in the output tubes. 6V6 tubes commonly uses a 10 kohm p-p output transformer, and 6L6 around 5 kohm. Also the bias has to be adapted.

But it is better if you ask at the Instruments & Amps forum, here we discuss HiFi.

Putting high speed tires on your car won't make it go any faster, you need a stronger engine.
In this case, more volts.
That would mean changing the power transformer, upgrading caps to handle that voltage and probably the output transformer (lower impedance and higher power). Then you have to make sure the speaker can handle the extra power.
Basically you'd be building a whole new amp.

First, why do you want more power and how much is enough? From 10 to 20W is only 3dB. Barely audible.
What speaker is in there now? If it is a low efficient type, swapping it for a high efficient one could solve your problems.

Power tubes do not create power, they only control it. The power comers from the power supply. Putting "stronger" tubes in the amp won't do much unless your power supply has more power to give. By power I am not talking about heaters, though they have to be covered as well. If you have a 15 watt power supply, putting 50 watt tubes in t eh amp won't turn it into a 50 watt power supply.

Will it function with the 6L6? probably. Will it meet the goals you have in mind? Well we don't know what those are so far.

Hi, I want to put 6L6 valves in my 6v6 Laney cub 10. ........ Adding up all the heater currents in these amps comes to 2.4a. Adding up the heater current draw for the cub10 with 6L6 also comes to 2.4a so I should be fine there. Cheers Ben
I'm not sure just how you did your addition there, but a 6L6 tube draws twice as much heater current as a 6V6 does. Two 6L6s would require about 900mA more heater current than two 6V6s.
6V6s like to see a ~ 6600Ω load; 6L6s like ~ 4000Ω. I don't think you would damage anything here, but the power output would not be ideal, and likely not much more without additional power supply beefage.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.