Can anybody point me at a suitable schematic? (single ECL86)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all

I'm a sort-of beginner. Not completely, I've built small circuits before, but I've always wanted to build a small valve amp for guitar. I've been through a couple of books on the subject, and have watched plenty of youtube videos. I'm fairly clear on the safety aspects and have a general idea about valve amps and how they work, but as they say... a little knowledge....

Anyway, I've acquired (from my parents) a broken Grundig Tape Recorder from the 60s, which I've scavenged for parts. I know the unit itself was generally functional until all of the belts wore out. It contained three tubes - an ECL86 (Mullard, made in Britain), an EM87 (Mullard "Foreign Made", I think this is a Magic Eye?) and an ECC83 (most of the markings have come off this but I think it was another Mullard, and was Foreign Made). I think the ECC83 is another name for the 12AX7?

Anyway, I'm never going to learn until I've electrocuted myself a bit (!!). With what I have above as a starting point, can somebody suggest a suitable circuit using some or all of those valves? Ideally for the UK 240V world but whatever you come up with I'm sure can be converted.

Thank you.

Something like this? The ECL86 is getting quite rare these days. The ECC83 is equivalent to 12AX7. EM87 is a "magic eye" level meter tube, also getting rare.

Don't electrocute yourself though. Read the safety pages and be careful, especially when working around 240V mains. 120V is annoying and sometimes lethal, 240V just sucks! Way more chance of snuffing it, too.

the-small.gif

. They use a PCL82 which is similar to your ECL86.

pcl or ecl86 more different to ecl82. pcl86 pentode output similar to el84 ;)
it is good and help to build guitar amp with low price nos tubes .
for guitar amp sound mu of out put tube is important . el84=19..........ecl86 pentode =21 so 9 watt plate and 12 watt plate just can make more power.

Last edited:
Hi Wallis - before this gets moved since you are asking about a GUITAR amp and this forum is strictly audio/hifi, here's what came up first google for me...

FoxTrot - 3W tube guitar amp
Looks suitable.
Are you able to rescue the existing power and output transformers? And chassis?

If so, a pile of issues resolved. If not, there are other ways (see GCWills SOLO for an example of using what's on hand)

Have fun, don't get hurt.
On fun and safety, do read Rob Robinette's Amp pages
Especially the safety page!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.