Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Can anybody point me at a suitable schematic? (single ECL86)
Can anybody point me at a suitable schematic? (single ECL86)
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th February 2018, 07:10 PM   #1
walliswizard is offline walliswizard
diyAudio Member

Default Can anybody point me at a suitable schematic? (single ECL86)

Hi all

I'm a sort-of beginner. Not completely, I've built small circuits before, but I've always wanted to build a small valve amp for guitar. I've been through a couple of books on the subject, and have watched plenty of youtube videos. I'm fairly clear on the safety aspects and have a general idea about valve amps and how they work, but as they say... a little knowledge....

Anyway, I've acquired (from my parents) a broken Grundig Tape Recorder from the 60s, which I've scavenged for parts. I know the unit itself was generally functional until all of the belts wore out. It contained three tubes - an ECL86 (Mullard, made in Britain), an EM87 (Mullard "Foreign Made", I think this is a Magic Eye?) and an ECC83 (most of the markings have come off this but I think it was another Mullard, and was Foreign Made). I think the ECC83 is another name for the 12AX7?

Anyway, I'm never going to learn until I've electrocuted myself a bit (!!). With what I have above as a starting point, can somebody suggest a suitable circuit using some or all of those valves? Ideally for the UK 240V world but whatever you come up with I'm sure can be converted.

Thank you.
Old 12th February 2018, 07:56 PM   #2
kodabmx is offline kodabmx  Canada
diyAudio Member

Something like this? The ECL86 is getting quite rare these days. The ECC83 is equivalent to 12AX7. EM87 is a "magic eye" level meter tube, also getting rare.

Don't electrocute yourself though. Read the safety pages and be careful, especially when working around 240V mains. 120V is annoying and sometimes lethal, 240V just sucks! Way more chance of snuffing it, too.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12th February 2018, 07:58 PM   #3
JonSnell Electronic is offline JonSnell Electronic  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Have a look here http://basaudio.net/blog/wp-content/...Amplifiers.pdf
All you will ever need is enclosed. They use a PCL82 which is similar to your ECL86.
Think about half an ECC83 and an EL84 and you have an ECL84. Same for ECL86 = 1/2 ECC83 or as you Americans call them 12AX7. Etc.
Have fun.
Old 13th February 2018, 04:45 AM   #4
davorin is offline davorin  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Pentode from ECL86 is similar to EL80 or EL41, not to EL84!
ECL84 is a completely different tube with a much weaker pentode.
Old 13th February 2018, 06:40 AM   #5
aardvarkash10 is offline aardvarkash10  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Hi Wallis - before this gets moved since you are asking about a GUITAR amp and this forum is strictly audio/hifi, here's what came up first google for me...

FoxTrot - 3W tube guitar amp

Have fun, don't get hurt.
Old 13th February 2018, 10:36 AM   #6
walliswizard is offline walliswizard
diyAudio Member

Thanks all. To be honest, guitar amp, audio amp, I don't really mind what I build as a first attempt, so all circuits are good.

I fully intend to stay alive!

Thanks for all your advice.
Old 14th February 2018, 06:27 AM   #7
hooman is offline hooman  Iran
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSnell Electronic View Post
. They use a PCL82 which is similar to your ECL86.
pcl or ecl86 more different to ecl82. pcl86 pentode output similar to el84
it is good and help to build guitar amp with low price nos tubes .
for guitar amp sound mu of out put tube is important . el84=19..........ecl86 pentode =21 so 9 watt plate and 12 watt plate just can make more power.

Last edited by hooman; 14th February 2018 at 06:38 AM.
Old 15th February 2018, 12:36 AM   #8
thoglette is offline thoglette  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarkash10 View Post
Hi Wallis - before this gets moved since you are asking about a GUITAR amp and this forum is strictly audio/hifi, here's what came up first google for me...

FoxTrot - 3W tube guitar amp
Looks suitable.
Are you able to rescue the existing power and output transformers? And chassis?

If so, a pile of issues resolved. If not, there are other ways (see GCWills SOLO for an example of using what's on hand)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarkash10 View Post
Have fun, don't get hurt.
On fun and safety, do read Rob Robinette's Amp pages
Especially the safety page!

Can anybody point me at a suitable schematic? (single ECL86)Hide this!Advertise here!