Mic preamp without input transformer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The cathode follower should provide about 300 ohm so overloading the output is not a problem since the highest load I put on it is 10k.]

Except you have a pot at the output which I would think depending on where the wiper is will raise the output impedance significantly. Especially if you are feeding a lowish z input (like 10k) and a long cable run. See if the tone gets better when turning the output volume to maximum.

Other than that I agree with the fact that the microphone you are using is terrible. I never liked the sound of those for vocals.

Last edited:
Yes the SM57 can be quiet midrangey which probably adds to the "effect" but I did use other mikes and still get that unpleasantness although not as prominent. But I need to use to SM57 for instruments anyway so I can't escape it by changing mic. When I use SM57 with SS preamp, it is quiet normal, nothing annoying that I hear.
The lowering of the input resistor is worth a try. I thought 1.8k was fairly average value found on many preamps so used that. I'll also try with the output on max and see if it's different.
I just wish there was a way to measure it without a scope. Listening tests can be so deceiving. I'm basically just stabbing in the dark here. But thank you for trying to help.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.