900v ct PT - What to build? Suggestions please ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I assumed it was hammond, being removed from a hammond organ/Leslie amp chassis.

Hammond organ company and Hammond manufacturing (transformers, chassis, etc) are not related.....not even in the same country.

The transformers found in Hammond organs are big and heavy. Having recently acquired a Hammond M3, I downloaded the service manual for the "M" series Hammond organs, which are the "little brother" of the "B" series. None of the transformers shown in the "M" series manual is over 400 volts, but they have 10 and 22 watt amplifiers in them without a Leslie. You might try Googling up the "B" series service manual and look for a match that way.

Curiosity led me to download the Hammond "B" series service manual. There are several organs with power transformers that have 830 to 900 VCT power transformers. All have a single 5 volt winding, a single 6.3 volt winding, no bias tap or other winding attached to the HV center tap. All have a tap on the PRIMARY to select 110 or 120 volts.

All of these organs run a choke input filter to generate a B+ in the 380 to 430 volt range for either 4 X 6V6 tubes, or 4 X 6BQ5 (EL84) tubes. If that's what you have its good for a single channel 6L6GC or EL34 amp in the 50 watt range, or a stereo 6V6 or 6BQ5 amp.

The organ has several other small tubes, so the heater winding could support a pair of 6550's or KT88's too. These transformers are way larger than typical for the power output these amps make, so there is probably some extra capacity available.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.