Looking for some advice on a filmosound projector mod

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was wondering if anyone could offer some advice on my modification of a filmosound 202 projector amp for guitar. The amp is push-pull with 2x 6aq5 (similar to 6V6, but max of 250V), and 2x 12ax7 preamp tubes. It originally also had a couple of 5879 pentode preamp tubes, but I have pulled those for now.

My current pre-amp schematic looks like this:

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I get some pretty good tone in two very narrow positions of the treb and bass pots, but quickly sounds muddy if the bass is set too high. The amp is not particularly versatile. I am also looking for something that has a bit of crunch at lower volumes if possible.

Any recommendations for simple changes? Is my best bet going to be to just to pull out one of the pre-amp stages, and maybe make it a first stage for the second channel, like a 5e3? Any best practices for the relatively low voltages that this amp uses (right around 200V for the preamps)?

Thank you!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.