blown transformer, open primary, fuse is fine

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Folks,
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Schematic ^^

I'm repairing my bandmate's Fender Reverb tank reissue. We used it at practice, turned it off @ the end, and when he turned it on @ next practice, it wouldn't turn on.

The primary of the transformer is blown open, yet the slow-blow fuse did not blow. I've taken DC ohm readings of the circuits on the secondary sides, and while the heater / 6.3V winding is a bit low (~1.5 ohms @ rest vs. ~4 ohms would have I expected), I cannot find any shorts in those 2 circuits. Rectifier diodes are fine at rest.

I can put a new transformer in, but I'm wondering why a primary would blow open like that & not burn up the fuse. I'd like to find any faults in the secondary side that might have caused this.

My dad suggests putting in a fast-blow fuse, installing the new transformer, and putting a meter on the test points and looking for any low voltages that don't match the schematic's expected voltages.

Any other suggestions or insights?

Thanks,
boogieWoogie

A fuse won't blow if the winding opens.
Are you sure the primary is open and everything is fine with the switch, fuseholder, voltage selector...?

Apart from that, checking windings with an ohmmeter is always problematic and often of little value, except you find an open winding.

If the primary is really dead, you have to replace the transformer or have it rewound.

Cheers,
Georg

Hi Georg,
Yes, the primary winding seems open. I removed the power transformer & resistence-tested the primary & secondary windings. The primary is an open circuit. The 2 secondary windings are close to the replacement tranformer's specs:

6.3V winding = 0.5 ohms (replacement tranny specs: 0.24 ohms)
high V windings = 236 ohms (replacement tranny specs: 185 ohms)

Thanks,
boogieWoogie

Sounds like there is a thermal fuse in the transformer. This will blow if the transformer over heats. It is a safety that prevents fires. Not the same thing as a fuse. The low resistance readings are normal.

Disconnect the transformer leads and double check for an open primary. If needed replace the transformer. I suggest you then take apart the bad one. You might learn why it failed.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Image link URL is broken; try http://i.imgur.com/CY3lqgc.png

The heater load is around 6V 1A or 6 Ohms; I would expect the winding to be "small" compared to this or nearer 0.6 Ohms than 4 Ohms.

No internal fuse is shown in plan; though it may be there.

Windings can fail "for no reason". One fault is the wire was pulled too tight in winding and (through thermal stress) eventually pulls apart (like my sewer line...)

If very sure the PT is bad, get another, but start it on a lamp limiter with no tubes. I would even disconnect the secondaries. A shorted rectifier is a dead-short on the transformer. If limiter lamp is no-glow secondaries open, but goes full bright when rectifier is connected, you found another fault.

Hi jjman, the fuse matches the schematic: 0.5A.

Hi PRR, thx for pasting the direct link to broken link. If there's a thermal fuse in the transformer, it's really buried inside. The tranny looks cheap as heck, and doesn't have extra, external wires. Good tip on the bulb limiter, gonna make one this weekend.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
In a properly designed power transformer a thermal fuse if present will be placed in approximately the hottest part of the winding in normal operation which is generally somewhere near the middle of the winding and it won't be accessible.

I have also seen them in the outer layers of the windings where they sometimes do not open until a winding short occurs due to insulation failure. lol

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.