E-Jammin Taxi Roots

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Brief introduction
My wife and I used to love doing DJ, karaoke type stuff at private functions. We had performers and singers plug in an loved it and one day I just picked up the mic and sang an old love song to her and we were hooked. We also love sounds of some of our folk instruments and riddims. We have used them and loved them. This all ended years ago due to a big move when we sold all the bulky gear and put rest in storage. Now we are in a house with a decent size lounge and sorting out the equipment

She has a drumset and a smaller one packed up as well as some spare shells that we use with internal braces as pot plant stands and tv stand, bongos, djembe and maracas. We both can play these and some other folk type percussion okish and getting better. I have my chromed brass and stainless steel rings that I go nuts with on most surfaces. Maracas on kitchen stuff sound pretty good in her hands. We enjoy jammin along to our fav tracks and our 5yr old daughter is also starting to pick up some of our stuff

Equipment wise we are virtually starting from scratch. Literally a scratchy old mixer that used to be very good. A dead audio lexicon interface and a dead I-Rig. My really old hi-fi and a cheap sub

I have been hooked on reggae bass for close to 30 years and always wished to learn to play. I get a lot of time that I can use for practice in my vehicle so currently building a sub-scale bass that just fits right. No claims about it being a playable instrument, just giving it a go. Tried my little gyals uke to see it a u-bass will be comfy but not really, too big in body. I thot mostly neck would do so going ahead with that project. There is a whole thread about the short neck bass here. I have a cheap right handed bass that we have decided to leave alone for now in case my lady wants to try her hand

Goals
Ultimately we would like to record our own kick and snare samples. Then jam together in our relax time with her on heavily modified folk percussion instruments with triggers for kick and snare together with my bass. All feeding through effects units

Guys I am from the school of thot to build each other up instead of bringing each other down. Thats why I find it comfortable at a diy site. Any ideas or mods I share is shared freely any if anyone wants to try it or even sell it then go for it. I know I will be needing lots of electronics pointers too

Why taxi roots?
Well most ponderings happen while I driving my taxi listening to stuff like this
YouTube
Who themselves are obsessed with naming everything taxi so this thread is in taxi :)

This is the progress so far on the bass. Headless 26" sub-scale hopping to be. Curves on wings fit my thigh torso when seated. Body area recessed to hopefully create a fake fretboard step

First template

DSC04306

28" sub-scale first template inspired b'day cake surprise for me :)

dsc04695

Body cut

DSC04813

Creating the step with hand plane
DSC04827

DSC04835

DSC04838

Fixing all of those onto an mdf plate today to make it easier to work on. Found my Stanly no.5 plane, sharpened blade to sci-fi levels :)

The snare doesn't make the sounds we want for all the tuning so we are modding this economy shell to try an idea of smaller, thinner, tighter and thicker walls, maybe wood metal hybrid batter side hoop

DSC04816

!2 nights of taxi Christmas : Taxi Roots

12 nights of taxi Christmas
1st night of Christmas
I drivin meh taxi
I bruk I have no money
2nd night of Christmas
I drivin meh taxi
Meh family dressing Christmas tree
3rd night of Christmas
I drivin meh taxi
Meh dawta say she wanna kitty
4th night of Christmas
I drivin meh taxi
I hoping for a fare fancy
6th night of Christmas
I drivin meh taxi
Meh pretty city gettin busy
7th night of Christmas
I drivin meh taxi
Ranking skankin office parties
8th night of Christmas
I drivin meh taxi
I mek a 100 dollar and 3
9th night of Christmas
I drivin meh taxi
Meh bass guitar almost ready
10th night of Christmas
I drivin meh taxi
I dreamin bouta pair tube pre
11th night of Christmas
I drivin meh taxi
Policeman he wanna harass me
12th night of Christmas
I no drive meh taxi
Getting irie with meh lady foxy
She get meh real high, bumping and grinding onto me
She mek meh a proposal dutty
This is how we mek our Christmas merry
Drivin meh taxi
Bruk no money
Dressing Christmas tree
Dawta wants kitty
City busy
Christmas parties
Mek some money
And meh bassssss almost readyeeeeee
Dreamin tube preamps and cussing policeman
But meh gyal pickeney mek meh smiley
So meh feeling better now
Home with meh family
Got the prezzies under Christmas tree
Merry Christmas All, best wishes for seasons greetings

Guys some help pls, I am making the string locking nut and pre-fitting it to the neck After the next taxi shift (new years eve in Sydney city, should be another crazy one). I have two bits of brass trinkets that I picked up from the sunday markets. both are flat and about 3mm thick. One is soft and deep yellow bangle and the other polished hard door number. I am inclined to go soft thinking that it should bite and hold SS strings but not damage? Or is this the silly way?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.