OPS-U-500-385B Power Supply for B+

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2005
Paid Member
Hey all,

Getting ready to build another guitar amp with either PP 6V6 or 6L6...and getting thoughts together...

I have a OPS-U-500-385B Power supply that takes 120vac 60hz to 385vdc (and adjustable to 400vdc)

Anyway, considering using one of these for the B+ (with no additional power supply caps) as I have two...bad idea? Would it be any better (quieter, responsive, reliable, etc) than conventional transformer / rectifier / cap for a guitar amp, or even a Home Audio tube amp?

OPS-U-500-385 Power Factor Correction

there's no claim about isolation

I have NEVER found a PFC module that provides isolation from the power line.

Unless you can find documentation expressly stating isolation from the line, and preferably with a specified rating of 2KV or so, do NOT use it for powering your guitar amp. It is effectively the same as plugging your guitar cord into the wall outlet from a safety standpoint.

But is it any different from a standard Switch Mode Power Supply?

Yes, its only half of a PFC enabled SMPS, the PFC half.

Non PFC supplies create 340 VDC or so by rectifying the 240 VAC line, or using a voltage doubler from the 120 VAC line. This goes into an isolated buck converter of appropriate technology for the power needed.

A PFC enabled SMPS replaces the rectifier / voltage doubler with one of these boxes. The reason for the stand alone box is so that one PFC module can feed multiple isolated buck converters in a multi-output or redundant power supply system. The typical PFC power supply for a PC has both modules in a single box.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
OK, Thank you for the advice...I have read that some company (Jeff Rowland?) puts this PFC unit upstream of an ICEPower 1000ASP module (that has its own power supply) supplying 385VDC to the module...for a performance benefit (i dont claim to understand how/why)...

Anyway, thanks for the help...I guess the only way to use it would be behind a 120VAC - 120VAC isolation transformer. which defeats the entire purpose...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.