Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Instruments and Amps Everything that makes music, Especially including instrument amps.

Jukebox Amplifier
Jukebox Amplifier
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th August 2017, 04:42 PM   #11
Nigel Goodwin is offline Nigel Goodwin  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Irving View Post

Probably a lot of things can cause a loss in volume, but in the one that I dealt with, that symptom was associated with an anode resistor that had drifted way up in value
That is probably the most common fault on valve amps, by FAR.

I've repaired countless ones over the decades, basically the resistors they use aren't really big enough (replace with a 1W if you have space), and the values used are the ones that tend to go high over time.

A few years back a friend asked me for advice about a fairly new Fender guitar amp, he had been offered it ludicrously cheap as it was faulty, and the guy selling it had taken it to four music shops, none of whom could repair it. I advised him to buy it, as if nothing else the transformers were worth lot's more than the asking price, and that it would most likely just be the anode loads faulty. So he bought it, brought it to me, and just as I thought the anode loads were faulty - actually three of them were.

Jukebox AmplifierHide this!Advertise here!