Black Ice?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
> Silicon diodes follow an exponential

Transistors do.

Diodes could, but most commercial product is doped for better performance at the high end, and shows a change-of-slope at the kind of currents we are playing with Bob Pease had a graph.

It matched tbis type of plot:

images

All my diodes followed that type of curve
There was measurably large reverse-current? Curious. I have never seen a reverse current big enough to show up on an ordinary DMM, myself.

-Gnobuddy

Kinda hard to do without power, though, idn't it?

Uh no, well maybe if you're trying to amplify a signal. There is power in the signal. And the point here is to limit it. But it is better to use powered amplification stage. More control of what is feeding essentially a clamping circuit.
An example of a jfet transistor clamp is putting a gate to the signal line and drain and source to ground. No power other than the signal. The problem here is with the magnetic pickup, or at least the challenge of getting something useful at the output of it. There are no magic solutions, if a 9 volt battery is required, or 200 V plate supply so be it. You could build incredibly sounding circuits out of 3 or 4 transistors for tens of dollars. Op amps that are 2 or 3 dollars each. I don't see the return on investment with a passive clipper based on what their asking price is.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.