diy tube stereo guitar project done

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi,this is my long time diy project:60/60 tube stereo guitar power amplifier,inspired by joseph norwood still and kevin o'conner(balance/bias circuit),2 6550 tubes per channel,this will be the back-end power punch for all my solid state/tube preamp going forward :) now i will try to post some pictures don't know why first picture is on it's side/don't know how to fix this9no computer geek here,sorry):(,this amplifier has 2 8ohm outputs for now,later will include 4ohm

Attachments

• 20170705_091726.jpg
    20170705_091726.jpg
    693.6 KB · Views: 195
  • 20170705_104751.jpg
    20170705_104751.jpg
    732.3 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:
Stereo is sometimes useful with guitars. For example when used with spacial modulation effects that have stereo outputs, such as chorus, reverb or delay. some guitars also have stereo outputs, each output channel coming from separate pickups. The speakers do need to be spilt apart fairly wide for the stereo effect to be noticeable.

Sent from my phone. Please excuse any typpos.

stereo guitar amplifier

in my case,the other channel would be like a back-up if the other channel went down,both channel share a common 200v ct 0.87a Hammond power transformer that has, a full-wave bridge,voltage-doubler circuit,this could be a problem if it went south,i know i could have done a mono 100watts unit,but i had 2 60 watt output transformers,and just wanted to see if i could do it,what can i say:)

Stereo is sometimes useful with guitars. For example when used with spacial modulation effects that have stereo outputs, such as chorus, reverb or delay. some guitars also have stereo outputs, each output channel coming from separate pickups. The speakers do need to be spilt apart fairly wide for the stereo effect to be noticeable.

Interesting. I'm not musician and didn't know that.

I am debating making a stereo power amp as I am tired of lugging combos around.
I think only guitarists who can afford roadies stay with "stereo" rigs for long. When you lug and set up your own gear, it's simply too much hard labour to put up with for long.

I put stereo in quotation marks because it isn't stereo in the normal sense, where you're trying to accurately place an instrument at a specific location in a soundfield. A stereo guitar rig is more a case of spreading the sound from one guitar across a wider source area, so that it sounds fuller and fills the room better.

It does sound very nice when you're playing solo in your living room or practice space. If you happen to be Eric Johnson, then it sounds good on stage as well. :)

For the opposite effect, plug a Yamaha keyboard with built in speakers (and stereo sound) into a mono P.A., and turn off the keyboards own speakers. Wow, that big spacious sound suddenly collapses into something much less enjoyable.

-Gnobuddy

I think only guitarists who can afford roadies stay with "stereo" rigs for long. When you lug and set up your own gear, it's simply too much hard labour to put up with for long.
I used to play in a band with a bloke with a Roland Jazz Chorus. Not really heavier than any other 2x combos. Usually got two mikes, but not always. Don't recall anyone using the line-outs.

I had a different variation: mono into a stereo amp, one driving 4x12 and the other a foldback wedge at the front of the stage. Only way to hear clean bass over a 15W Fender having it's neck wrung the other side of the drum kit. It got a bit silly at one point (on a larger stage) with three stacks and associated amps. I couldn't afford GK gear so it was all HEAVY as well as big. The valve gear used to smoke ominously and the SS stuff kept me busy replacing bits that died.

Of course today you can get 1/2kW in a 1lb package. But where's the fun in that:p

A relatively small stereo setup can make some effects far more interesting. The usual suspects are reverb and delay with different delay times or reverb tanks for each speaker. Slap back delays can sound unique if you get the dry sound balanced but every other repeat swaps speakers.

I was at a small outdoor restaurant a few days ago where the "one man band" guitar player could work two loopers through two speaker cabinets. He had a small roll around rack that I could not see the contents of. Somehow his live guitar and "bang on the hollow body" percussion was centered, but some of the loops went left or right. Close your eyes and there were 3 people up front.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Many years ago I designed the onboard electronics for a couple of stereo bass guitars with piezo under saddle pickups and active magnetic pickups (iirc custom DeMarzio active bass pickups) , the 5 or 6 under saddle pickups could be panned from one channel to other independently of one another, the mags were mixed center mono. I was pretty amazed (bowled over) at what I heard when they were played by a good bass player, not at all what I expected, the overtones were spread out in a large sound field and gave that bass depth and width I'd never heard before (and not since). I guess stereo can be artistically useful with the right instrument and music. Good I think in small venues and the studio.

I used to play in a band with a bloke with a Roland Jazz Chorus. Not really heavier than any other 2x combos.
Very true, but the two speakers in a Jazz Chorus are practically touching each other. They aren't far enough apart for much "stereo" effect, unless you put your face a foot away from the amp. :D

The "stereo" rigs I've read about have usually involved either two heads and two cabs, or two combo guitar amps. Basically twice the usual amount of gear for the guitarist to haul around.

Of course today you can get 1/2kW in a 1lb package. But where's the fun in that:p
Today's class D amps will fit in a lunchbox, but the speaker cab is still the size of a dormitory 'fridge, and weighs enough to give the poor bassist a hernia. Unfortunately, the teeny amp is useless without the monstrous cab!

It's the sort of cruel joke the ancient Greek gods might have perpetrated, when they weren't busy dreaming up creative ways to torture Tantalus or Prometheus.

-Gnobuddy

Hi Aroy255,voltwide
it sounds good to me,but i am using old 6550 to test so far,they are not matched tubes,but the amplifier has a balance pot to try to get them close.
In a PP guitar amp, slightly unmatched power tubes can sound better, allowing more of those sweet even-order harmonics to come through. However, they shouldn't be too far off, or you will get some hum, or in extreme cases, individual tubes red-plating.

Sent from my phone. Please excuse any typpos.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.