Another INA217 Mic Pre - board layout; analysis and enclosure templates in the works

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
On my last Mouser order, I threw in various hyped ICs. I got around to building the INA217-based "$5 Preamp" that's all over the web (and here). My immediate need is for a mobile preamp for my Tascam DR-40 (a 4-ch handheld recorder with noisy built-in preamps), so I'll be running it off two 9Vs to get away without any power regulation.

I drew the schematic and the board in Kicad, basically true to the example circuit in the spec sheet, though without phantom power or ESD protection diodes, and with a balanced output (an opamp voltage follower and two matched resistors). Upon actually etching it, I realized it's a bit large and sparse, so I'll probably revise it to be a little more compact.

proj.png

proj-F.Cu.png

The files are on a Github repository. The kicad files are under kicad/ and PDF exports are under kicad/exports/

https://github.com/chapatt/ina217-mic-pre

It sounds transparent, as far as I can tell, and it behaves approximately to spec, in terms of gain factor and max input/output with a given supply V. I'll make a quick video with a 'scope and post the sheet metal enclosure template this weekend.

Attachments

• proj.pdf
    22.8 KB · Views: 287
  • proj-F.Cu.pdf
    8.7 KB · Views: 163
  • proj-drl_map.pdf
    6.4 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:
You did not show any 4148 diodes for ESD protection on inputs, as shown on TI data sheet.

Also, you may wish to consider 47uf non-polar electrolytic capacitors.

Seconded, remember these are not within a feedback loop.

Thanks for the input! I edited the post to note the omission of the diodes. And true about the capacitors--the datasheet does note that if phantom power is to be turned off, the capacitors should be non-polar.

In my case, I'm not injecting phantom power on the output, thus probably don't even need the caps on the output, I'm thinking? Do they have any other purpose?

My input, however may receive phantom power, so I need the coupling caps on the input, plus they form a high pass filter. The fact that there isn't necessarily 48 VDC on the input I guess does mean they should be non-polar.

The above schematic shows both XLR connectors have their pin #1 terminals connected to the circuit common (aka ground). They should be connected to the chassis at the connectors not to the ground plane. The ground plane may also be connected to the chassis at the input connector.

The above schematic shows both XLR connectors have their pin #1 terminals connected to the circuit common (aka ground). They should be connected to the chassis at the connectors not to the ground plane. The ground plane may also be connected to the chassis at the input connector.

Ah, I'm reading up on that now. I'll fix the schematic. Thanks.

And I reversed things in my comment here:

In my case, I'm not injecting phantom power on the output, thus probably don't even need the caps on the output, I'm thinking? Do they have any other purpose?

My input, however may receive phantom power, so I need the coupling caps on the input, plus they form a high pass filter. The fact that there isn't necessarily 48 VDC on the input I guess does mean they should be non-polar.

I meant to say I'm not injecting phantom power on the input, but I probably should keep them because they form a high pass filter. My output may receive PP, so I need the coupling caps.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
...the coupling caps on the input, plus they form a high pass filter. ...

You do not want significant high-pass at a microphone input which draws any input current, unless you consider the effect on low-frequency hiss (random rumble).

47uFd+2k2 is 2Hz and sufficiently low for most purposes. However if you need a 50hz or 150Hz hi-pass to clean wind rumble or clean-up a mix, do that *after* you gain-up the signal some.

What do mean by that? ....

There sure can be large DC across caps inside a NFB loop.

However I think Mooly's point is that e-caps distort and NP e-caps are said to distort less.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.