guitar amp running on one power rail

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just bought an old ss 45watt guitar amp from the 70's and it sounds really good, seriously chimes, though some high freq are ear damaging.
I had a look inside and noticed one of the pt secondary wires had broken from the board. i soldered the wire back on and now the amp sounds alot flatter.

do poeple remove a power rail on purpose to make into a class a? apart from the ear hurting high freq it sounded incredibly good running on one power rail, does anyone know why or has come across it before and is its safe to run an amp like that? cheers

Tell us make and model so we can refer to schematic.

But If you remove one of two wires from the power transformer, all you are doing is making the other side of the winding do all the work - and now it is half wave rather than full wave.

No one would do that on purpose. It has nothing to do with class A or not. If it sounds better, it is because the ripple has been reduced.

Tell us make and model so we can refer to schematic.

But If you remove one of two wires from the power transformer, all you are doing is making the other side of the winding do all the work - and now it is half wave rather than full wave.

No one would do that on purpose. It has nothing to do with class A or not. If it sounds better, it is because the ripple has been reduced.
hi, it just an old nz made amp with no schematic, i think your right about the ripple, i soldered the other secondary back on and replaced the filter caps, much better sound now

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.